The Bestwood Coal & Iron Co.Ltd

As mentioned befoe I am member Bestwood Male Voice Choir, the Choir was formed in 1952 by Len Hogg,who worked at the pit for many a year, who passed away a couple of years ago, Choir was formed from miners at the time, in the Church near by is a window didplay depicking the Choir

I have the spelling as "Mays" not "Mayes" and when your searching for people a slight spelling error can lead you off at a tangent and have you chasing your tail like a rabid dog lol.

Totally certain the spelling is Mayes...have seen it in print so many times!

Also recalled that the coal lorry weighbridge, just yards from my workplace, was in the charge of a William? Hamilton...

Cheers

Robt P.

...the Choir was formed in 1952 by Len Hogg,who worked at the pit for many a year...

Len (L.C.) Hogg worked at Bestwood Area HQ offices in my time, he sat on a pretty high roost being the long serving No 3 Group Director.

Cheers

Robt P.

As mentioned befoe I am member Bestwood Male Voice Choir, the Choir was formed in 1952 by Len Hogg,who worked at the pit for many a year, who passed away a couple of years ago, Choir was formed from miners at the time, in the Church near by is a window didplay depicking the Choir

I understand that the choir as an excellent reputation as well.

Its the brass band that I had a lead to, I have some names and dates and will look them up. From what I have gleaned one of the "Hamiltons" apparently was in charge of the brass band at the colliery, he later emigrated to Australia or America. I take nothing as gospel on my searches as often such leads come to nothing.Having said that its heartening to know just how close and tight knit the mining communities used to be and activites such as the choirs and bands show this.

Totally certain the spelling is Mayes...have seen it in print so many times!

Also recalled that the coal lorry weighbridge, just yards from my workplace, was in the charge of a William? Hamilton...

Cheers

Robt P.

I'll definately make a note of that Rob, many thanks. Yes there was a William Hamilton as well. I'll certainly have another look at the "Mayes" name now as well.

Don,

Might I suggest that the weekly Hucknall Dispatch could be an excellent archive source, as they usually have at least one Bestwood village report in each edition.

http://www.hucknalldispatch.co.uk/

From the time that I lived nearby, I recall that their archives - back to year dot - were kept in Hucknall Library which is in the Market Place. Their own offices (have a word with long-time editor Richard Silverwood, who is a local walking encyclopaedia) are less than 30 yards from the library, on South Street. Fair bet that they'll also have a set of their own past editions.

Cheers

Robt P.

• 4 years later...

I'm really pleased to hear that the winding house finally got it's grant. Bestwood's is a tale worth telling.

Bestwood's most recent use as a film set was for the recent film about Ian Curtis of Joy Division, 'Control'.

Nottinghamshire: Old Bestwood

Apparently, the Bestwood Hotel on Park Road in Bestwood Village has now been sold to developers to make apartments. A representative, Claire, has requested information and opinions on this development on the above linked story. Please take a look on the comments section underneath the article if you feel you have anything to offer on the subject. Incidentally, it's a thread of comments that has brought about much Nottstalgia from local and formerly local people. Well worth a read if you have any interest in the area:

Nottinghamshire - Old Bestwood