If the group are the Dave Clarke 5 (or was it Dave Dee, Dozy ,Beakey, Mick and Titch) and the solo is Eddie Cochran , then Dave (Dee or Clarke ) was a policeman at the time and was the first on the scene when Eddie Cochrane Was killed in his sports car some where in Somerset (I think)

smile2

didn't he find the guitar in the wreck and kept it and it gave him the insparation to start playing himself

17th would be the aniversary of the crash

Devon?

"....During a British tour with Gene Vincent in early 1960 Eddie played in Bristol. On the night time journey from Bristol to London the Ford Consul taxi in which he was travelling crashed into a lamp post at Rowden Hill, Chippenham. He was taken to St. Martins Hospital, Bath where he was pronounced dead. A permanent memorial stone can be seen at the scene of the crash. Gene Vincent and Eddie's girlfriend Sharon Sheeley were also a passengers in the car but survived...."

Cheers

Robt P.

Hey but I wasn't far off with Somerset I knew it was down that way some where ( the rest of my guesses were a toch of sarchasm)

;)