Homes in some UK cities face almost double the chance of being burgled than those in more secure areas, according to a new report.

Residents in Nottingham are almost twice as likely to make a claim for household theft than an average household, researchers found.

They said Leeds and Hull are among other cities where the risk of being burgled is above average.

Meanwhile Guildford, Swindon and Dundee are among the most secure places to live, insurer Endsleigh said.

"It is crucial that, as well as getting involved in neighbourhood safety schemes where they can, people across the country remain vigilant when it comes to home security," he said.

"There is a range of steps that householders can take to protect their homes, such as installing burglar alarms, window locks, double-glazing and motion-sensitive lighting.

"Even simple, cost-effective measures such as using plug-in timers for lights and radios when you are out or on holiday can make a difference in putting off potential burglars.''

The results were collected by analysing burglary claims across the UK during the past four years by people insured

Most at risk from burglary:

1. Nottingham

2. Leeds

3. Hull

4. London

5. Oxford

6. Bristol

7. Reading

8. Manchester

9. Sheffield

10. Cambridge

Least at risk:

1. Guildford

2. Swindon

3. Dundee

4. Bath

5. Coventry

6. Brighton

7. Aberdeen

8. Cheltenham

Joint 9. Edinburgh and Belfast

Not my words.....Take a look here.

Endsleigh was originally the insurance service of the National Union of Students and are still very big in this market.

It can't be a coincidence that so many of the top burglary locations have large student populations.

Student housing is notoriously attractive to burglars.

I think that there is something to do with scaremongering going on with the figures that get bandied about, example;

I lived in Nott'm for 35 years and in that time I worked on a lot of doors ,and in a lot of pubs/clubs (working and drinking) and in all that time I never once saw a gun or a knife for that matter!!!

I have lived here for 10 years and every night you here of some one (either Liverpool(Toxteth) or Manchester (Moss Side) getting shot or stabbed to death.The only gun crimes I have heard about from Nott'm in this time have been the little girl on her way home from the fair and the jewelers in Arnold.

Again I lived in Nott'm for 35 years and in all that time I was never the victim of crime(burglary, theft etc) in Carlton (in my time there was one house burgled twice but they recond it was an insurance con)

Over here (in my old house (this is why we moved)) we had,my van broken into twice ,Tracey had her car broken into twice everybody on our street got broken into or vandalised the thing that put the nail in the coffin was when next door was broken into and I had my shed done over (Loosing all my fishing tackle inc a three peice split cane rod that was hand made by my father for my fifth birthday)

madashell

I then moved here and got broken into and had three grands worth of stuff nicked

Believe me where we live now is paradise compared to the other side of town

;)

I don't know if you read my post regarding the speed cameras in Cheshire all definately having film in for the for see able future, but there is that little money to go round we never see a foot patrol bobby and I was reliably informed by 'job' that any police car that we see on our streets at the moment are definately going somewhere and not just patrolling

To make matters worse the garage where I take my car for MOT also services all the police vehicles (REGARDLESS OF THE FACT THAT AT THE NEW CHESHIRE POLICE HQ THAT IS BUILT HERE AT A COST OF UMPTEEN MILLIONS THERE ARE PROPER GARAGE WORK SHOP FACILITIES) I know this cause I went to an open day last year with my eldest. He told me every day they take a transporter in pick up one vehicle take it up to the opposite side of town to be serviced/MOTd then go back to base empty then return later (empty again)to collect said vehicle and drive back with it on the back.

I asked why they didn't organize it so you could pick one up and drop one off at the same time and the guy at the garage just shrugged his shoulders

madashell

To make matters worse the garage where I take my car for MOT also services all the police vehicles (REGARDLESS OF THE FACT THAT AT THE NEW CHESHIRE POLICE HQ THAT IS BUILT HERE AT A COST OF UMPTEEN MILLIONS THERE ARE PROPER GARAGE WORK SHOP FACILITIES) I know this cause I went to an open day last year with my eldest. He told me every day they take a transporter in pick up one vehicle take it up to the opposite side of town to be serviced/MOTd then go back to base empty then return later (empty again)to collect said vehicle and drive back with it on the back.

I asked why they didn't organize it so you could pick one up and drop one off at the same time and the guy at the garage just shrugged his shoulders

madashell

:Friends: I suppose when the new HQ was in the planning stages they plumbed for the best of both worlds, money being no object then.

When it’s not their own money being spent but the taxpayers the priorities and opinions change somewhat.

New HQ with own top of the range Mechanical repair facilities sounds very sophisticated, not knowing at the time, or did they, that it would be cheaper to take their vehicles down to a back street grease monkey for repairs.

It’s a bit like most councils if for whatever reason there is a surplus of money spent in one tax year they have to spent it on something no matter what or lose it for good.

Bip. :Fool:

Just one mechanic in full time employ would cost less then the cost of transporting the vehicles (minimum charge ÂŁ100. a time)Blue bum Motzart .Then they still have to pay for servicing (Up to ÂŁ220. before parts and VAT)

And then they would still try to justify sending the vehicles out for MOTs

madashell

It all makes perfect sense to me Beef........waste as much of the tax payers money as possible before we lose it.....in other words spend what they have been given this year because next year we are going to ask for more. Can you imagine if they said 'sorry but we have found a way to save money, therefore we won't need as much of the council tax payers money next year.................this type of waste is happening in all levels of society from small business to giant corporations even in most peoples homes. How many people these days have mobile phones but still have a land line even though they don’t have a computer. Take sky television for example, how many homes have it so as to say when out in company they have it, even though truth be known they watch very little of it.

Bip.

• 8 years later...