Skill's Buses

Remember them? Their Garage used to be Bottom of Hartley Road.

When I moved there in the 60's the river Leen ran close to Skills.

At the Junction of new road there was an area of the Leen that was quite wide, with lots of big boulders. on a hot sunday afternoon, kids would congregate there and paddle in the shallow water, or catch minnows.

That is if you were not lucky enough to board the Skeggy bus up at the Skills Alfreton Road Toy Shop (Remember that?) on the Sunday morning.

B) Also at the bottom of Hartley road next to Skils bus depot was John Player & son's Fleet Depot, I remember it well because i went for a interview there, at the time i fancied myself as a drivers mate, [ lets keep it clean ] i was working for them at the time in the despatch dept. Just round the corner a little is the Plough Pub which was a watering hole for many employees of John Player & sons between the hours of 1 & 2 pm, [ dinner break ] It's still their the Plough is, at the back of the Pub is the famously named THE NOTTINGHAM BREWERY which was once situated on mansfield road. [ by name only ] [ The Plough Inn web link ]

post-38-1105294400_thumb.jpg

Players? - Also Just at the bottom of Hartley Rd on the right, before the road bends to the left, to become St Peters Street. Players had a place there as well? Not sure what that was?

• 1 month later...

Very interesting Brian

They reclaimed duty on the sweepings?

That building If I remember appeared to be built into a grass bank? Next to the Church.

There was a Skills Chip shop Denman Street near junction with Norton street in the early 60's? Was that the one you were thinking of?

Don't know if they are connected?