Just saying hello

I moved to Bradford in 1998 and have been here since then, except for a year living in Leeds. Looking at moving on again this year, would like to come home but my wife and kids are not all that impressed with Nottingham. Amongst other things, they find the accent difficult to understand which I find surprising.

I moved to Bradford in 1998 and have been here since then, except for a year living in Leeds. Looking at moving on again this year, would like to come home but my wife and kids are not all that impressed with Nottingham. Amongst other things, they find the accent difficult to understand which I find surprising.

Show them this thread jc. It will solve all your problems:

nottingham "how it is spoke"

Welcome to you.

Nottingham talk, cant beat it. Still find it amazing that I'm only about 80 miles away, but so many words are different, especially in the chippy. Cant get proper fishcakes, chip cobs are chip teacakes, fritters are scallops and the list goes on....always make a point of visiting the chippy when I'm home for a proper fritter, fishcake and saveloy (saveloys not available up north, except from the supermarket and they are not the same).

Beef, can you remember that Chippy at Burton Road Carlton.

Used to sell 'Sheppys' Fried shepherds pies?

Never seen em before, never seen em since?

Dimis'

She that put her make up on with a trowel, and he who allegedly spat in the cooking fat to make sure it was hot enough!!!!!!!!!!

Whilst I do vaguely recollect 'Sheppys' I don't recall ever trying one, I only recollect seeing the sign on the wall advertising them.

I also recall 'Sam's', up by the Nags head, selling deep fried Pizzas