Players & Radford Ariel View

the three streets that run vertical to the factory left to right are Player, Wallan, and Osborne...

by the lack of vehicles parked on these streets I would guess this pic would date from around the 1920/30 era.

the first house in the lh side row on Osborne street is where I lived mid 70s, when I worked ar Raleigh....

if it was a better resolution I reckon it may have been possible to see the Radford Folly .. nevertheless a very nostalgic pic!

ilko..

mick2me Posted on Jan 12 2005, 10:58 PM

Thanks BiP 

So the buildings next to the Gas works are Players Bond?

B) Well yes, but looking again at the photo, if they are the Bonded Warehouses they don't look in scale with the Gas Holder, the Gas Holder looks too big ?

I passed their the other day going down Triumph Rd to see my Brother and the Warehouses were massive compered to the Hydromiter ?

post-38-1105613740_thumb.jpg

The only other gas works I can remember were at Basford, which does not look right?

As picture highlights Players premises the only remote one was Players Bond, Ilkeston Road/Triumph Road. Perhaps this is an old image when the bond was a smaller building?.

I still can't get my head round the roads(unable to find my old Radford map).

Which is Radford Blvd, and which is Hartley Road. What direction are we looking from?

Ah! Now I see it.

I believe that in the early 60's I lived in the house immediately above the 'R' in factory. I was on this side of Alfreton Road. Just below us on the other side of Alfreton road was a Fish & Chip shop on the LHS corner. My doctors was on the RHS corner of Player Street Which is RHS of the first factory

there was a fish and chip shop on the corner of Osborne street,

which would plaice ;) it around that area which you refer..

I remember those houses where you lived as being large three story dwellings..

would that be correct?

Don't know about the doctors though.. I recall it was the Mary Potters health centre near the forest if ever the kids were sick..

ilko..

looking at the old Radford maps, Oldknow street was roughly opposite Osborne street..

the 'grande' public house stood on the corner of Alfreton rd/Gregory boulevard.. and just around the corner from Osborne street on Alfreton road was the Pakistani beeroff, whereby one could buy alcoholic liquor and wallpaper paste on a sunday afternoon.. very handy!

ilko..

B) I just had to mention this while we are on the subject of were we use to live. Across the road from the no1 Factory main entrance on Alfreton Rd on the corner of Colliston St there was once a Dry Cleaners called CHICKS, it was owned and ran by a Nottingham Legend in Ice Hockey namely Victor 'CHICK' Zamick.Please see below.....

:D Inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1951.

Without doubt the greatest scorer during the post-war years, of the first era of professional ice hockey, in Britain was Victor ‘Chick’ Zamick of the Nottingham Panthers.

Between 1947 and 1958, the 5’7”, 140lb centreman accumulated a staggering 1,423 points, in a period when the game was noted for low scoring games. This remarkable feat was recognised at the time as Zamick was voted onto nine consecutive end-of-season All-Star teams. A six-time A team selection, he added a seventh A-team and tenth in total All-Star selection in 1957-58.

Born August 16th, 1926 in Winnipeg Manitoba, Victor Zamick was one of twelve children of parents originally from the Ukraine. He apparently gained his nickname ‘Chick’ from Chicklet coated chewing gum with 12 sticks per packet.

He didn’t start to play organised hockey until he was fifteen years of age, when he joined the Sir John Franklin Midgets and progressed through the ranks for a trial with the professional Cleveland Barons in the American Hockey League. He though, did not consider himself good enough, and so chose to hone his skills in the Ontario Hockey Association playing, under future Chicago Blackhawks coach Rudy Pilous, with St Catherine Teepees.

He served a short spell in the Army and worked at various jobs, and virtually dropped out of hockey, to earn a living as a flyweight boxer during the immediate post-war period, before joining Boston Alouette and helping them win the Alberta Intermediate hockey title.

During the summer of 1947, Alex ‘Sandy’ Archer who grew up in Winnipeg, but who was then coach of the Nottingham Panthers, was back in town recruiting and Zamick went looking for him. He badgered Archer for a chance to earn £15 a week playing in England. Barely two days before the boat that brought him across the Atlantic sailed, Archer advised the then twenty-one year old, that due to a late withdrawal, Zamick was a Panther. He hardly had time to pack and arrived in the East Midlands with only £30 in the pocket of a suit borrowed from his brother.

‘Chick’ Zamick became an instant success on Lower Parliament Street, as he took the scoring title in his first season, courtesy of his deceptive body swerve, muscular frame and pinpoint accurate shooting. One of his contemporaries Clarence Rost observed in the ‘Players from the Golden Days’ book by Trevor Boyce, “His greatest asset was his marvellous shot, which was always very low. The goalies had little chance as he could shoot on the move at high speed and with a lightning quick release while stickhandling.”

Zamick went on to break record after record in an eleven year spell with the Panthers including registering his 100th goal in December 1948 and his 600th just under six years later. Along the way, the Panthers won two English National League championships in 1951 and 1954.

Zamick won the league points scoring crown on six occasions, with a high of 112 goals and 169 assists for all competitions in the 1954/55 season. Revered and respected by the fans in Nottingham, a broken arm sustained in a 1952 fall in the Ice Stadium caused some of those present to weep openly. Twice voted Nottingham’s Sportsman of the Year, in 1949 and 1951, Victor Zamick beat off stiff competition from national sporting figures from both cricket and football including legendary England and Notts County centre forward – Tommy Lawton.

He was appointed player-coach of the club for the 1955/56 season, and led the club to both the Autumn Cup and BNL titles that season. He continued in that role for a further two campaigns before accepting a three-year contract to do the same job with Servette Geneva in Switzerland.

Returning to Britain and Nottingham, he made four appearances with the newly formed Altrincham Aces during the 1961/62 season scoring 9 goals and 7 assists. Two years later, ‘Chick’ Zamick joined the revived Wembley Lions scoring 31 points in just 11 outings for the famous club. On his debut for the Lions in October 1963, he bagged a brace of goals in a 5-4 London Tournament victory over the Brighton Tigers.

After retiring from the game as the first player to reach one thousand points, Victor ‘Chick’ Zamick ran a number of business’s from a dry cleaners to a sauna and squash club, and became a much respected businessman in his adopted city of Nottingham.

His amazing statistical record from 1946-1958 reads…

GP Goals Assists Pts PIM

624 778 645 1423 192

Compiled with research provided by Martin C.Harris – July 2000.

With assistance from ‘Players from the Golden Days’ by Trevor Boyce.

Footnote.

In March 2000, when the Nottingham Panthers played the final game in the old Lower Parliament Street Ice Stadium, Victor ‘Chick’ Zamick was a guest of honour alongside fellow Hall of Famer Les Strongman.

post-38-1105650013_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 9 years later...

I remember Doctors Hickton and Epstien very well. Both ladies. I was a sickly child and visited their surgery on the corner opposite Players no 1 factory on Alfreton Rd., quite often. I was fascinated by the steel safety bed with a bed ready made up under the heavy steel top. I imagined the surgery being bombed and caving in on top of the steel bed and the doctor being safe.