Found this forum by way of Stuarts "Tears of a Clown" webpages.

Where to begin? Born on Pennyfoot Street (when there were proper houses there), raised in the Meadows (Medus), married and moved to Sneinton Dale before moving to Bakersfield and after fifteen years there moved to Rise Park (and very nice it is too).

Lots of interests, geneology being one of them, angling is not one of my interests its one of my passions! Having been raised within spitting distance of the Trent I used to swim and fish it regularly, and oddly enough sometimes both at the same time! Ah how warm the water was when the powerhouse used to let its warm waters enter the river, the water would steam in winter and I often saw a group of older chaps swimming in it every day come rain or shine.

Best nor bore you all too much or I may get, in computer parlance "booted" for sending people to sleep! !englandflag!

A big welcome to you Don.

It's been my pleasure to read your reminisces about Bestwood over on my little site. I hope you find some good nostalgia over on here too. Some of it is highly fascinating!

Best wishes and welcome.

Stu

Hello Don, I was born round the corner from you on Thoresby street. and also moved to the meadows as a 10 year old. Its a small world.

Hello Dodie

youre right about that, I do miss the old Medus though when whole extended families only lived streets away from each other, some lived next door to each other as did my grandfather and great grandmother so us kids had to be on our best behaviour because there was allways someone who would see you if you got into any mischief and the parents would soon hear of it!

I think the thing I miss most is the sense of "belonging", whilst modern parlance calls it a "sense of community" I think it went a lot deeper than that. I havent found that feeling since childhood, the nearest I came to it was a few years in Sneinton(1970s) when I'd just got married but alas its no longer there either.If we lost it, where did it go wonder?