YMCA Monday night dance

Hi.

Just wondering did anyone here ever get to the Monday night dances at the YMCA on Shakespeare Street?

I have read some of the other posts on different areas of the site re. Colemans and Handfords on Trinity walk. Hung out at both those places as well as the Palais on Wednesday nights. (Hey! it was about the only way I knew to meet girls at the time).

Actually met my first wife there one Monday night in March or April 1963. Did something that was really not considered to be the best approach. Broke up two girls who were dancing together. Usually considered unwise as it was easier for whoever you asked to tell you to "Get Lost!"

Anyway that night was my night she even lived in Gedling like I did. Not trekking to Cinderhill or Bulwell to take someone home and trying to get the last bus back. Went home with my future wife that night. We enjoyed 35 great years until her untimely death in 1999.

I was eighteen at the time. Wow! where did it all go?

Dave

I have read some of the other posts on different areas of the site re. Colemans and Handfords on Trinity walk.

Thanks for that Dave other discussions here mentioned a disco in trinity square area, which no one could remember.

You have given us a name?

Glad to be of help.

Handford and Richards was upstairs. Can't remember what else was in the building. I think they mostly taught ballroom dancing but Friday nights was the hop when even if you had two left feet you could wander aimlessly round the room hoping to find some attractive wallflower.

Mind you, the attractive ones were usually taken and thus not wallflowers. :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello David

Yes indeed I do remember the dances at the Y, the Palais and the Astoria. What you say re catching the bus before the last one. I was always one of those who missed it and had to walk to Arnold. It was a good job I enjoyed walking!

Hello David

Yes indeed I do remember the dances at the Y, the Palais and the Astoria. What you say re catching the bus before the last one. I was always one of those who missed it and had to walk to Arnold. It was a good job I enjoyed walking!

Long way from Cinderhill. Oh well! we were tough in those days. What's a little midnight walk?

Wonder if they still do those dances at the Y?

Dave

• 1 month later...

I went to the Y on Shakespeare St a few times, but soon graduated to clubs with more ambiance.

the one night i remember they had the Jaybirds playing. the lead singer guitarist was awesome!

at the time he did stuff from the charts by the likes of Billy Fury and Elvis only better.

His name was Alvin Lee and he went on to lead one of the best British R&B bands ever, Ten Years After and their performance at Woodstock is legendary.

we did not see much of him in Nottingham, but he did play at the Boat on one occasion.

Hi Richard

The Jaybirds regular venue was the Cocked Hat in Aspley on a Thursday night, Alvin Lee (Graham Barnes) lived on Sutton Passeys Crescent just off Middleton Boulevard until stardom struck.

• 7 years later...

Those dances switched to a Thursday night when I lived around the corner,I loved the cake sales on a Friday morning and then I would sneak down to the basement to the weight lifting room.Record Fairs on a Sunday began in 1980,recall picking up 'Rocket 88' by Bill Haley on 45rpm.