Occurred to me that you musical morons might like to read this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7350109.stm [KDRTFL]

The mystery of the rare vinyl

"...It was a quiet afternoon in the Oxfam Shop in Great Yarmouth in the autumn of 2005. Most days are quiet in Great Yarmouth out of season.

This day, however, was to prove a rare exception. In walked a man, in his 50s, with boxes containing between two and three hundred vinyl records. He explained that he had come up to Suffolk from London to clear the house of his brother who had lived locally but had just died. The man was too upset to go through his brother's record collection in detail and wanted Oxfam to take it off his hands. The shop duly obliged.

Normally, with such a large donation, charity shops like to write to the donor to thank them formally for their gift. However, the man in question wouldn't give his name.

There was wild speculation - later established to be totally unfounded - that part of John Peel's vast record collection had begun seeping into the open market. He'd died the previous year and lived nearby.

The records were mainly of '60s and '70s rock - The Who, Stones, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Medicine Head, The Moody Blues and so on. Many were in mint condition..."

Cheers

Robt P.

• 3 weeks later...
Occurred to me that you musical morons might like to read this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7350109.stm [KDRTFL]

The mystery of the rare vinyl

"...It was a quiet afternoon in the Oxfam Shop in Great Yarmouth in the autumn of 2005. Most days are quiet in Great Yarmouth out of season.

This day, however, was to prove a rare exception. In walked a man, in his 50s, with boxes containing between two and three hundred vinyl records. He explained that he had come up to Suffolk from London to clear the house of his brother who had lived locally but had just died. The man was too upset to go through his brother's record collection in detail and wanted Oxfam to take it off his hands. The shop duly obliged.

Normally, with such a large donation, charity shops like to write to the donor to thank them formally for their gift. However, the man in question wouldn't give his name.

There was wild speculation - later established to be totally unfounded - that part of John Peel's vast record collection had begun seeping into the open market. He'd died the previous year and lived nearby.

The records were mainly of '60s and '70s rock - The Who, Stones, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Medicine Head, The Moody Blues and so on. Many were in mint condition..."

Cheers

Robt P.

I find it annoying that now days the record in charity shops cost what they're worth. It used to be worth trawling through 100 copies of the South Pacific soundtrack album on the off chance off finding something scarce. Now I don't bother as all the shops in the suberbs are 100% tat. They cream off anything good and sell it in the city centre shops it seems. I supose it's good that the charities are getting the money but I think most collectors like to get a bargain. It seems now they just check the book price and that's how much they charge.

I've got that WHO album they mention in the article. My Generation on Brunswick. Superb album.

• 2 weeks later...
Craig

Are Modern DJ's using MP3s at all?

Dunno about over there, but at our company Xmas party two years ago, the DJ showed up with a very compact rig that held two iPods. It was VERY cool, he could do all the usual DJ tricks - seguay, fade etc from one to the other and the sound quality was excellent!

I resisted buying an iPod for several years, but I now have a 30Gb version. It has every album I have ever owned on it, plus a few more, and about a dozen movies - it is less than half full! I have a little transmitter/charging device so I can use it in my car, and the radio in the GT has an iPod hookup so it is controlled from the radio! This means I can carry every tune I own wherever I want! VERY cool!

Slightly off topic but the new Elvis Costello album is being (or has been) released on vinyl only.

My mate bought me the new EC album on CD. Maybe it was released on vinyl prior to it's CD release.

My mate bought me the new EC album on CD. Maybe it was released on vinyl prior to it's CD release.

Not sure about that, I got my information from Billboard and other sources,

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/articl...t_id=1003728188

Never mind, I understand it's a pretty good album.

Is Craig a modern DJ........ :laugh:

Only just spotted this.....................cheeky bu99er! In fact I use an I pod for work, alongside those so old fashiloned cd players!