The Fountain,Bridlesmithgate

I lived in the Nottingham area from 1975 until 1986 before returning to my native Merseyside.I regularly did a pub crawl on Friday nights around the city centre.You had to queue up to get into The Fountain.The things I was willing to put up with in those days ! Larry,the amiable landlord would monitor how many were in by letting a few in when a few went out.I did pull a few women in there so have happy memories of the place for that at least.I understand the pub is no longer so and is just a shop.

It got demolished and then re-built. Towards the end of it's life it had become a bit down trodden and dare I suggest, one to avoid.

Welcome Russ.

When Larry (Laurence Bednall) left the fountain, a guy from down the west country took it over. (Year?)

Larry went to the Fox on Valley Rd Basford.

Where he is now? ... Retired, if he's got any sense?

I did hear he had a heart attack and retired.

The guy from Somerset apparently won half the Fountain in a game of golf,

Do you remember the bloke who used to work behind the bar (George?????????) who looked like Charles Bronson?

I did hear he had a heart attack and retired.

The guy from Somerset apparently won half the Fountain in a game of golf,

Do you remember the bloke who used to work behind the bar (George?????????) who looked like Charles Bronson?

Sorry to hear about Larry's heart attack but I hope he is still around.Managing a pub like that must have been difficult.Yeah, I do remember the Charles Bronson lookalike but had forgotten his name.Thanks for the contributions about The Fountain.I'm glad I joined this site.I would be interested to know if some of the other pubs/clubs still exist but I'll make that a fresh subject sometime soon.Regards to Nottingham and it's wonderful people !

I never understood why the Fountain of all places ever closed?

Perfect central location on the run of pubs always packed?

Its now a shop built in its place you say!

Ah now I see, The Flying horse syndrome over again?

happy_face_money_in_eyes_hg_clr.gif

Larry was the same age as my dad so would be 77/8 now believe it or not!!!!!!