The Mystery Mods of Nottingham?

Pete Lemon isn't on the photo's,he had real blonde hair,a round,ruddy face,always wore a full length green leather coat.

He was a few years older than most of us. Maybe they are mistaking Ray Tass for Pete Lemon.

I remember his coat! And unless I'm mistaken, he also wore a Levi jacket, can't remember if it was a normal denim one, or the light tan suede with the brown leather collar..........?

As for his hair, my memory is telling me it had a very very light ginger tinge to it, as opposed to real blonde....?

• 5 months later...

A lot of the Nottingham Mods used to go to Skegness on bank holidays in the mid sixties myself and a few other guys would make the long run to Great Yarmouth on our Scooters,even the Mini boys were there one time.To this day that road is still a slow run.Went to Brigthon once in an Austin Champ Jeep painted bright yellow (yellow Rolls Royce)with some guys the owner was Carling from Basford some crazy days then.

Seem to remember it was John Carlin I went in the back of the Yellow Rolls Royce with others to Yarmouth one year there was end to end trouble all weekend (Mods vs Rockers) . I recall a guy called "Mad Colin" who drove a beat up Singer and used it as a battering ram to knock over bikes /barriers; didn't he get arrested? I seem to remember a court on the Monday or Tuesday after the weekend's violence. Quite a few guys were caught, kept in cells sentenced the day after and sent off with a fine to pay.

I did the Yarmouth bank holiday run on the scooter a few times siddha,also in Carlin's yellow Rolls so maybe you were with us a guy called Drac from Bulwell had a Lambretta with twin stack chrome exhaust.Carlin hung around with some guys from a Cinderhill youth club,l think he was a mining engineer.My memories not as good as it was l always associated the guys with the scooters they drove.

1-23-2012_001.jpg

One of my other Vespa's that i had in the 60s with my girlfriend and Joey Colins on the Li150 from Bulwell.4211737958_09e39ea2cd_b-1.jpg

LAST WEEKEND WAS SCOOTER WEEKEND IN SKEGGY WENT PAST THE SHIP PACKED WITH SCOOTERS SOMEONE WAVED TO US SO WE CALLED IN FOR A COFFEE WALK UP TO HIM SAID WHAT ALL YOU BLOODY MODS DOING HERE THIS IS OUR PUB ROCKERS RULE OK YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN THE LOOKS WE GOT HE JUST PUT HIS ARMS ROUND ME AND GAVE ME A HUG AS HE ALWAYS DOSE WHEN WE BUMP INTO EACH OTHER WE JUST BURST OUT LAUGHING NOTHING ELSE WAS SAID.DOZENS OF SCOOTERS THERE

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The yellow Rolls Royce that Carlin used to cruise around in was purchased at Army Surplus in Ruddington after he smashed up his Vespa SS 180 in Basford the Austin Champ looked like this before it was painted no seat belts or anything.When on holiday in Cornwall with him the drive shaft packed up his dad shipped him one by train he had it put on in Bude.It drank fuel like a Yorkshire man drinks best bitter.

portperrycarshow2003291.jpg

Went into Wetherspoons in Perranporth on Saturday ....all nice and peaceful, then just as we were leaving, noticed that the bar seemed to have got very busy all of sudden .

Getting outside, the car park was full of scooters , lots of chrome gleaming in the sunshine . Must have been part of of the "Run from the scum" rally ....looking on this site

http://www.vespa.org.uk/rally%20dates.htm

Took a couple of pics on my phone and will upload later .

Does anyone know of the current scooter lads around nottingham? We used to have a fair few scooters park up when i worked at the Inn for a penny (Possibly still go there) on a sunday. Used to speak to most of em while working the bar but never got their names. We saw aload of them head down colwick loop road the other day, distracting my scooter-fan of a partner while driving lol. The other half has asked me to ask if anyone on here knows or remembers his dad, Ray. Not Ray Tass... the other one.

lot of different schooter groups in nottingham at the momemt some of them travel to different pubs every wednessday night there are usually about 200/300 at the memorial service on the embankment every november and then they all go county club for a yearly get together.

re classic car meet frankie and bennies i have been told next on will be sunday 2nd june its the 1st sunday of the month not the 3rd as i said before told about 200 cars and bikes there last time