The Crystal Palace,Clumber Street

I remember this pub during my Nottingham days (1975-1986).It was a Shipstones pub during the tied-house era.There was a guy on a honky-tonk piano giving the place a traditional pub entertainment theme.I think the couple who ran it were Derek and Mary.I was in there one Friday night and was talking to Spyke Golding of CAMRA fame.I was enjoying a pint of Shippos bitter.Spyke had a huge glass.Not sure how much it held.I suppose I should have asked him. I recall the pub closed down in the early 1980's and became a shop.However,it had fine,large rounded windows at either side of the entrance door.These windows had a protection order on them(or were listed,or whatever) so could not be tampered with.That was good. If ever I return to Nottingham I will ensure I wonder down Clumber Street and assume the premises are still recognisable as the old Crystal Palace pub.Happy nemories !

This was my local every weekday lunchtime while employed by Taylor Woodrow to build the new Vic Centre, I remember it being around 1971/72 cos the jukebox was always ringing to sounds of Cher's gypsies tramps and thieves and the Fortunes storm in a teacup.

At that time it was kept a by thin guy by the name of Seth, he previously held the mantle at the now demolished Wollaton Arms, he was renowned for always wearing white shirts with dirty collars, nice chap though, must of gone in there every work day until they transferred me to the QMC build.

Went by there yesterday and it is still an amusement arcade with the original curved windows.

I also walked through West end arcade, opposite the library and comes out on Parliament St, what a dump of an arcade.

Den.

I also walked through West end arcade, opposite the library and comes out on Parliament St, what a dump of an arcade.

Den.

It always was (Apart from Arcade Records) Stunk of pee to me ,reminded me of a phone box

There used to be a great toy shop as well, not sure of the name but Skills rings a bell.

But you're right about it being a mess.