I'm Paul- I'm a Primary school supply teacher and a mean photographer. I live in Sherwood but have very deep roots- and aged parents- in Hucknall. Born on Ogle Street and moved to Watnall road, Westville end when I was nine. I attended Spring Street infants and Juniors, and loved every day- I then attended Annie Holgate Technical Grammar School, only to have it turn comp in my final year- no matter, I got a job as an Apprentice Electrician down't Pit.

I have quite a bit on Hucknall, especially Wood Lane and Lambert Hill, around where they built Spring Street.

Oh, and I'm very much in love with an American Girl, although she's moving to Nottingham, unlike other members!

Well, that's me.

Hi.

p

x

Ayup Paul, I did my first year with the Coal Board at the training centre at Watnall road at side of the old Rolls Royce plant and alternate weeks at the old tech college on the main road.

Then it was Arnold and Carlton near the old Gedling Colliery. What pit were you at?? Hucknall number2, Linby??

Ayup Paul, I did my first year with the Coal Board at the training centre at Watnall road at side of the old Rolls Royce plant and alternate weeks at the old tech college on the main road.

Then it was Arnold and Carlton near the old Gedling Colliery. What pit were you at?? Hucknall number2, Linby??

I was at Moorgreen initially for basic training around 1977, and A&C college for the clever bits, interspersed with 3 shift working at Hucknall No. 2 where my dad was an Overman. I stuck it out for three years before leaving to join Post office Telecommunications, and another 12 there before starting at Nottm Trent on a B. Ed.

I'm well travelled.... :D

Photos? Why, yes, I have a few :D

p

x

I was at Moorgreen initially for basic training around 1977, and A&C college for the clever bits, interspersed with 3 shift working at Hucknall No. 2 where my dad was an Overman. I stuck it out for three years before leaving to join Post office Telecommunications, and another 12 there before starting at Nottm Trent on a B. Ed.

I'm well travelled.... :D

Photos? Why, yes, I have a few :D

p

x

3 years! You'd only a year left!

My time was from 1964 to 68, started late, so had a few months to catch up with plus normal studies, but made it. One thing I can say, the NCB gave me a good training that stood me in good stead. It also made me lazy! Something I overcame in outside industry and private mining.

Drop by my mining site sometime and add your experiences, the URL is in my profile.

John

3 years! You'd only a year left!

My time was from 1964 to 68, started late, so had a few months to catch up with plus normal studies, but made it. One thing I can say, the NCB gave me a good training that stood me in good stead. It also made me lazy! Something I overcame in outside industry and private mining.

Drop by my mining site sometime and add your experiences, the URL is in my profile.

John

I know, but I just couldn't stand it anymore- I love daylight and fresh air too much- and figured I'd pretty much be doing the same work I was doing as an apprentice, for the rest of my life.... signals mostly......... and I didn't want to be trapped in the job with a mortgage no other industry could support!

Maybe I just think too much.... my dad called me a 'daft bogger' for leaving. A few years later he was having to fight his way thro picket lines whilst I drove merrily around Notts in a bright yellow van....

p

x

I know, but I just couldn't stand it anymore- I love daylight and fresh air too much- and figured I'd pretty much be doing the same work I was doing as an apprentice, for the rest of my life.... signals mostly......... and I didn't want to be trapped in the job with a mortgage no other industry could support!

Maybe I just think too much.... my dad called me a 'daft bogger' for leaving. A few years later he was having to fight his way thro picket lines whilst I drove merrily around Notts in a bright yellow van....

p

x

At the time of the big strike, I was earning $38,000 a year for basic hours! Cost of living was a lot cheaper than the UK too. That apprenticeship more than paid for itself.

My ex bessie was at Moorgreen then Alan Palmer ring a bell his dad was a big union bloke Arthur