Anybody have info on Burnstump?

I've been going there for years with my dogs ...usually at dawn when no-ones about,it's peaceful then.

I know before The council and the police took over it was NCB headquarters.And originally the land was owned by one of the powerful local landowners...The Seely family I think without double checking.

Anyway...in the woods to the right of the path from the toilet block are some huge trees.Two have been cut down many years ago...one remains in place.

Those felled were obviously rotten on the inside.The remaining tree (Which I'm struggling to identify) is, I would have thought, at least 300 years old.By the look of the position of the felled trees it looks like they were originally planted intentionally many many years ago.

The one remaining has been fenced by the council...anyone any idea what type it is and how old.?

On the top lane above these trees is a row of intentionally planted beeches...beautiful big old trees,but not as old as those lower down.

In the middle of the woods the other side of the park there are some huge blocks of dressed stone nearly buried and hidden by rhododendrons.I'd love to know what building was there in the distant past.

Pic178.jpg

Just behind the remaining tree you can see the first of the felled trees...poor picture sorry ...it was a dull day.I know it was council policy to leave any felled trees where they were to encourage fungi,insects,and other wildlife.

I've searched for maps showing the old estate but have had no joy to date...but I'll bet there is one in the archives of one of the local societies.

Paul.

• Upvote 1
  • 7 years later...

I lived at Dukes Cottages,just down the road from Burntstump, from around 1960-1982, Sherwood Lodge was owned by the Seely family, but I remember it when it was owned by the NCB. My dad remembered Lord Sherwood (as he was known) going round the estate in a pony and trap. There were various 'rides', or wide grassy pathways where a carriage could be driven aorund the estate to show off to visitors, and these would've been planted with trees to create an avenue of trees. The Burnt Stump itself refers to a tree hit by a lightning strike years before, in fields across the road from the park-NOT the fabricated version in the pub park! :) I'm not sure where the building is that you're referring to, as it's a few years since I've been there. Next to the car park is the old walled garden and the gardener's cottage. (Used to be Mr Horne's nursery.)What is now the 'Burnt Stump' was one of the old staff residences, possibly the butler. I used to walk to Seely Church school form the cottages through the woods along the drive up from the Lodge-sad to say I wouldn't have dreamed of allowing my kids to do that!!!

• Upvote 2

I only had to wait seven years to get an answer to one of my first posts on here :biggrin: The building I referred to was just north of the pond and an old timer a while back told me he was employed donkeys years ago to fill and cover an ancient well at the same spot.