Olympic Spirit - Georgian war and Zulus

Olympics..."The coming together of all nations every four years to promote peace and understanding in the pursuit of human excellence."

Working a treat 'aint it?...........kkkkkkkkkkkkk.jpg

Is that Georgia??

I was watching Judo and Beach volley ball today, in both cases Russia were up against Georgia and I'm not ashamed to say I was glad when Georgia won on both occations, especially the volleyball as the girls fought back from a match point against them, to win in three sets!!

I think this explains it fairly well.Mick.

By goading Saakashvili into war, Russia knew that Georgia's Nato ambitions would be scuppered. European members had opposed an American push to fast-track Georgia's membership precisely because of the unresolved issues of South Ossetia and Abkhazia.

For a long time he showed restraint, despite his own instincts and the advice of his administration's hawks, in dealing with his two renegade regions in the face of intense provocation from Russia.

Moscow not only funded and probably armed the rebels in both Abkhazia and South Ossetia; it also persuaded many of the people there to take up Russian passports by luring them with the promise of pensions. This gave the Kremlin the disingenuous pretext of defending Russian "citizens" to justify military intervention in Georgia.

Provocation, in the shape of sporadic air raids, intensified from Kosovo's declaration of independence from Serbia in February. From that point, a war with Georgia over either South Ossetia or Abkhazia became likely.

The stakes were raised in April, when Nato promised Georgia that it would eventually be placed on the path to membership - a move that Vladimir Putin, Russia's prime minister, could not tolerate.

They did pretty good in Zulu!

Very true...but a shame over a thousand were slaughtered by the Zulus at Isandlwana (Isandula Road,Basford.So named because local councillors didn't know how to pronounce it) because of the arrogance of the officers who thought a fortified camp was unecessary.

The Zulu war was instigated by Sir Bartle Frere High Commissioner of South Africa who considered the Despot Cetshwayo and his Zulu nation to be a threat to the Natal Province.

An excuse was found in the death of a couple of white settlers and the theft of some cattle, to invade the neighbouring sovereign state to remove the regime......Ring any bells????....Iraq?.....Georgia?

Maybe Frere considered the Zulu army of 30,000 warriors to be similar to having weapons of mass destruction..... :Fool:

Paul