Robin moves again

Do we not have enough talented British actors to play the role of one of our mst famous sons ?? The last two 'big screen' versions were Patrick Bergin (Irish) and Kevin Costner (American) I did see a thread recently regarding this topic , but I can't find it now to add this to

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/wenn/20080929/ten...ff-c60bd6d.html

Let us not forget the late great Errol Flynn, an Anglo/Australian/Irishman/American, who hid in Hollywood during the war, while his mate, David Niven came back here by whatever means to fight for his country of origin, he was forced back into films because of his talent for acting and, though he wanted to 'Kill the Bosch', and had fiddled himself as an officer in a tank regiment, he wasn't allowed to do it, quite right too, he was a very lovely bloke whose best roles were as someone helping to entertain people, however much he detested it. How can you forget the 'First of the Few' or 'A Matter of Life and Death'.

Over the years I have to admit to getting peed off with Robin Hood movies and TV series, the best Robin Hood was John Cleese in the 'Time Bandits', no doubt Notty folks thought it was a p1$$ take, well it was, about time too.

Ayup all,

Just a small question, Where did the expression NOTTY come from? I was born and brung up in Nottingham and so far have reached the ripe old age of 55 and the only other person I have heard say that cringing word NOTTY was a rather insignificant little twerp from Scunthorpe who had only just learned to string two words together to make some sense. Please can someone enlighten me

Cheers

Rog

A very good comment, it's a habit I've aquired from my son at Uni, I shall take your point and never use the phrase again if you find it so offensive. A pity, I always thought it was quite endearing, along with Notts Forest, nothing wrong with that is there????

Ayup all,

In these days of political correctness you will find the right terminology is Nottingham Forest and Notts County. the term Notts is not a problem as I think the letter "s" as a suffix denotes it being a shire of the land ie: Warks = Warwickshire, Lincs = Lincolnshire, Yorks = Yorkshire etc.

Or should that be Warky, Lincy, Yorky?

Rog

A very good comment, it's a habit I've aquired from my son at Uni, I shall take your point and never use the phrase again if you find it so offensive. A pity, I always thought it was quite endearing, along with Notts Forest, nothing wrong with that is there????

Always thought it was Nottm(Nottingham) Forest and Notts County. !tanning!

the only other person I have heard say that cringing word NOTTY was a rather insignificant little twerp from Scunthorpe

Would he be the original (second, third, fourth and fith(sp?)letter) from Scunthorpe, by any chance !rotfl!

There's a few that would argue with you regarding the Notts Forest thing ............ smile2

I hate the expression, those bloody TV pundits still say Notts Forest sometimes, the worst perpertrator of all used to be Bob Wilson, though he said it so often I reckon it was deliberate, well he came from Chesterfield didn't he, what do you expect.

Did you know his middle name was Primrose by the way, honest, it's true, what a cross to have to bear throughout your life, imagine having to put that on your job application form.

Now there's a thought, Robin Primrose Hood, Earl of Loxley, sounds good doesn't it, don't tell Russell Crowe though, it might put him off his new role.

Does anyone know if Bryan Adams is writing the soundtrack.

...the worst perpertrator of all used to be Bob Wilson...

Also went to Loughborough Uni...

Surely, the luckiest man to play pro' soccer at any level...Scottish international too...utter crap!

Injured so often at the 'kick in' that his substitute always warmed up immediately the team emerged.

BTW: Do you know the connection between him and the Victor Mk2 air crash at Stubton, near Newark, in 1962?

Cheers

Robt P.

Both his aunt and his cousin were killed when the bomber crashed on to their farmhouse...

Wilson had visted them there only minutes before the impact.

Tragedy clearly seen across the flat farmland by the signalman at Claypole box on the ECML, who was also related.

Cheers

Robt P.

I don't know of the Victor Mk2 crash, but he was in The Roy of the Rovers cartoon in the 80s (Was that in the Victor ??) along side Steve Norman and Martin Kemp from Spandau Ballet ,for some strange reason . Ha also lost 2 brothers during WW2 , one was a Spitfire pilot and the other a Lancaster tail gunner.

Another bit of Bob trivia , did you know he was the last amateur to play in the top flight and the first amateur to recieve a transfer fee (£6,500) In his first game Arsenal beat Notts Forest 4-2.

Due to some clerical error he was still on Arsenals books (And nearly played at the age of about 55) after they had a goalkeeper shortage in the mid 90s

Why do I know so much trivia about Bob?? answer, I was only reading about him a couple of weeks ago in a magazine in the dentists waiting room.

...I don't know of the Victor Mk2 crash...

Ian,

It is noted on the 'Test Pilot' website - 23/03/62.

Also put Stubton and Victor in Mr G. Oogle co.uk.

Cheers

Robt P.

Must be quite alarming to watch both pilots ejecting and leaving you to your own devices!!

• 9 years later...