Railway walks with Julia bradbury.

Guess again...42085 & 42500... :tease:

Cheers

Robt P.

Sorry, 42085 plus it's pal at The Furness Railway, 42073, are both Fairburn, not Stanier 2-6-4's, I remember them both lurking around Carnforth when I was a youth, but never mind, not much difference in either appearance or design, they are basically the same thing, a pity none of the Fowler 2-6-4's survived, Fowler engines had a more purposeful look about them, I'm glad to see that a Patriot is being built from new and scrounged bits, if it takes as long as Tornado to build we'll probably be sitting on a cloud looking at the originals by the time it's up and running.

Your trip behind an A3 to Leicester sounds amazing, tell us more.

I remember travelling on the last Midland Pullman to Loughborough then catching a grimy Class 5 back from Central, of course we got pounced on by the guard who couldn't believe we had first class tickets. It was the only time that we seriously timed a trip along the GCR, and I still have the log lurking somewhere, we had a word with the driver to wind it up and he sure did.

According to my figures we touched 97 through Rushcliffe, take a large bit off for the innacuracy of my all singing and dancing divers watch from Jersey and our youthfull enthusiasm, but it was still bloody fast, we had to hang on for dear life, the crew were well impressed with themselves when we got to Vic.

The K3 model sounds great, I've lost track of the world of railway modelling, I have a vast Hornby Dublo 3 Rail collection uselessly stored in the loft, I need to get it up and running, it's an amazing thing built up from the foundations of my brothers original set from the late 40's, you would love it.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firbeck,

The K3's were also often used on 50's Forest supporters away trains from the Vic', to various obscure fixtures both in Yorkshire and the North-East...the loco usually working right through, often with the aid of a pilotman driver.

Sometimes a B1, or an occasional smaller K2 provided the haulage...but normally a Colwick K3, which had good route availabilty status, did the honours Travelled on many strange 'pre-Beeching' lines during those journeys...

Likewise from the Midland station, where the staple motive power were 'Crabs', or sometimes a Standard 73XXX.

Some amazing sightings of BR steam passing Bingham in this late 50's/early 60's era...ranging from many ECML Pacifics/V2's gliding past, en route to Colwick for light repair... through to perhaps the ultimate visitor when Fort William's K1 61997 MacCailin Mor went by on the daily Donny-Colwick pick up freight!

Did you see my Post 20, re tonight's BBC 4 menu?

Cheers

Robt P.

We have a programme on North West T.V. (I don't know if it's syndicated ) on Sunday evening re Dr Beeching and the railways , it's by that great broadcaster Stuart Maconie. On at 4.25pm "Down the Line"

Looking in the T.V . magazine it's on just round here but there are other similar programmes in the other Northern areas , maybe you have one where you are .

We have a programme on North West T.V. (I don't know if it's syndicated ) on Sunday evening re Dr Beeching and the railways , it's by that great broadcaster Stuart Maconie. On at 4.25pm "Down the Line"

Looking in the T.V . magazine it's on just round here but there are other similar programmes in the other Northern areas , maybe you have one where you are .

It could well be the same programme that was shown on BBC4 a few weeks ago. Lucky sod, is Stuart Maconie your local TV presenter then, I think that he's one of the most neglected but talented people on the radio, didn't know he did TV. They obviously hate him down here because he comes from Bolton and has plenty to say for himself, quite right too, his article on music in the Radio Times is always brilliant, instead we have some really painfull people presenting Radio 2 programmes, they make me cringe, at least Mark Radcliffe has managed to keep going, but he can be a bit of a pain sometimes. Whats happened to Lard!!

So what did you think of last nights railway offerings, I was banished to the bedroom with a bag of Seabrooks crisps, a bottle of Fullers London Pride, and some mint Kit Kats that only I will eat.

The Great War programme upset me as I knew it would, my grandad fought in these battles, how he survived God knows, I have his Sam Browne belt, diaries and cap, for those who saw the programme, his diary confirms that he actually played in one of those football matches against the Germans in no-mans land in 1914 on Christmas day.

Julias walk was great, I thought it might be further up the line towards Aviemore, but I gather that there is a great possibility of this line being reopened, same old story, they need the financial backing.

Then we had the BT films, fantastic to see the thoughts of the original film makers and the official attitude towards the London trams was appalling, sad isn't it.

The Elizabethan film, great, nice to see it on TV for once.

Then Michael Palins first foray into something different from Python, great stuff.

I was at least allowed downstairs to watch Betjemans brilliant Metroland, not entirely railway orientated, but those scenes of Wembley Way, as it was, were priceless.

Any other comments.

Well, it wasn't bad while it lasted, but I'm afraid that the BBC have replaced Railway Night with Barbara Cartland Night, should appeal to the same people, obviously.

Poor Julia and her Railway Walks is sandwiched between savagery on the Western Front and a pink monster.

Anyway, it looks a good one, on the old Portland branch from Weymouth. If you've not been there, it's a good place with lots of history and things to see.

I went on holiday to Weymouth in 1961, train from Midland to St Pancras, think it was a Jubilee, taxi to Waterloo, then a WC class to Weymouth. What a place in those days, our boarding house was just down from the station and I used to sit on the bank overlooking the line at the shed road. Hardly any diesels, a shunter that served the Portland Naval base and railcars from Cardiff, everything else was steam, SR, GWR and once I even came across an LMS 8F while sneaking round the sheds.

On the way home we had to catch a holiday relief which was pulled by a Schools class 4-4-0, fabulous engines, we took the late lamented avoiding line through Ringwood and during a signal check in the New Forest, the guard and I were feeding the ponies alongside the track, happy memories of a long lost era.

My next visit was to catch the evening Boat Train to Weymouth to connect with the ferry to Jersey in 1965. We were pulled by MN, 'United States Lines' from Waterloo, BR had cocked up the seat reservations and we had to sit in the restaurant car, but we were given a free evening meal as an apology.

It was quite exciting to be pulled through the streets of Weymouth late at night to the ferry terminal, I can't remember whether it was one of those GWR Panniers, it may have been, but I suspect it was a diesel.

We travelled back on the overnight ferry, 'Sarnia', the sea was extremely rough, fortunately we have good sea legs, I recall standing on the front below the bridge with the waves crashing over us, didn't sleep a wink.

On boarding the boat train at Weymouth Harbour, very early in the morning, we were boarded by Customs and Exise officers, my father had bought me a divers watch and persuaded my mother to wear it up her arm in the hope she wouldn't be searched, she was c######g herself, but they didn't bother looking.

On getting home I tried it out in Highfields Lido, it promptly filled up with water and never worked again, it must have been the quality of the water in Highfields, not!!!!

We went on a mystery trip via the railway to Weymouth cirrca 1974/5. It was a long way for a day trip , but well worth it.

Incedently we had a sweep stake to guess where we were going , the driver won !!

We went on a mystery trip via the railway to Weymouth cirrca 1974/5. It was a long way for a day trip , but well worth it.

Incedently we had a sweep stake to guess where we were going , the driver won !!

Great, they used to do all those trips in those days, why not now. I never went on a mystery trip, but I remember about the same time going from Nottingham to Edinburgh and return for a fiver, to Plymouth and on a very interesting trip to London Zoo via Grantham on a load of old rattly DMU's connected together, they tried to beat Mallards record down Stoke Bank, but didn't quite succeed!!!!

Trouble is, the privatitised system would end up arguing about the validity of cross service tickets, sad isn't it, happy days, eh.

Ayup firbeck,

I should imagine going down Stoke bank at 126 mph in a DMU would be quite an experience and put you off rail travel for life, In your opinion which was the best railway? ie: GWR, LNER, Midland etc and why, I'm just curious no other reason.

Rog

Ayup firbeck,

I should imagine going down Stoke bank at 126 mph in a DMU would be quite an experience and put you off rail travel for life, In your opinion which was the best railway? ie: GWR, LNER, Midland etc and why, I'm just curious no other reason.

Rog

Just going all that way to London on a DMU nearly put me off for life.

All those trips to Grantham made the LNER my favourite, it was fantastic to see those pacifics coming through the station at high speed, and of course the excitement of peering down the London end of the line and seeing a 'Streak' heading our way.

We went to Peterborough for a change once, an A1 there and an A4 back, it was the only time that I travelled along there by steam.

I went to Crewe a few times and saw the Stanier Pacifics, but never at speed, and it was exciting to travel on the GW for the first time and see all their 'pretty' loco's, and of course travelling on holiday behind a Southern pacific was an experience.

But the LNER did it for me more than the others.

Railway Walks was mildly interesting, I thought that there'd be a bit more about Weymouth, but Portland is a strange place, forts and quarries all over the place, if you ever go, try and get a trip up Portland Bill Lighthouse, worth the effort.

The programme did clear up a mystery for me, I knew that an old battleship had been sunk as a blockship in Portland Harbour but was told it was the Iron Duke, so now we know it was the pre-dreadnought Hood, there you go.

Ayup firbeck,

Midland line for me for the simple reason it was closest to home,the diesels were coming on line then and I remember the midland pullman racing along the Radcliffe bank towards Loughborough,

And those giant Garretts banking the coal trains up the same incline, all this before the Radcliffe on Soar power station was built. A quick nip over to Ruddington on the push bike and we were on the Great Central line and a few more steam train numbers as well as the newer and unusual sight of some DMU's with their yellow chevron on the front. Did'nt get to the ECML until the Deltics were well established, but I would have loved to have seen an A4 going full bore through Grantham station, the only time I saw an A4 running was the Nigel Greasley at Loughborough's Great Central preseved line,

The first time I visited the GC preserved line I went on the train from Nottingham Midland to Loughborough Midland and the GC bridge that crossed the midland line was being cut down and they were using a steam crane to lower the bit's to the ground, I see now the Great Central are appealing for money to build a bridge over the midland line so they can run trains from Ruddington all the way through to Leicester, strange how things come round intit?

Rog

Ayup firbeck,

I should imagine going down Stoke bank at 126 mph in a DMU would be quite an experience and put you off rail travel for life,

Once went to Wolverhampton to collect a van and last of the 3 trains I took scared the **** put of me! was some electric unit, me and my son only ones on it so went to front, not just fast but bouncing and "wallowing" all over the place!

Strangely enough, the last A4 I saw at speed on a normal working through Grantham was Sir Nigel Gresley, I have a rather blurred photograph of it somewhere. That day was the only time we sneaked around the sheds, there was another A4 in there, think it was Silver Fox, we went in the cab as well.

If Mallard ever came into Grantham on a stopping train, the drivers always used to let us spotters in the cab, it was as if they were obliged to do so. We went to an exhibition at Lincoln in 1958 where a load of motive power was displayed, including Mallard, we were allowed to walk through the corridor tender, I was only a little kid then and it was claustrophobic, how a large driver ever managed to get through there at speed, I'll never know.

I recall the very first Deltic prototype appearing at Grantham and later at Doncaster, it looked smart in it's blue livery with yellow stripes, later the first production type appeared, the first one I saw at Grantham was 'Alycidon', the cab was stuffed with technicians in white overalls, if any diesel had the charisma to take over from those pacifics, only the Deltics had it, on a school trip we timed one at 108 down Stoke Bank, nothing these days is it.

The Midland Pullman was a gem, pity one wasn't preserved. At first we had to go to Sawley to watch it come through, then it was introduced to Nottingham. Despite being skint schoolkids, we were determined to have a ride on the last working. We could only afford a one way trip to Loughborough, it was a first class ticket plus Pullman supplement, hideously expensive, we even decided to wear our school uniforms so we would look reasonably smart. On the great day, we were greeted at the door by a steward, all straight faced, and shown to our seats, it was magic. Big problem, the venetian blinds were down, they were set between the double glazing and couldn't be manually adjusted. There were several buttons to press, I pressed the wrong one and the ever patient steward arrived and put us right. It was a great experience, when we got out at Loughborough, the spotters at the end of the platform were astonished by the sight of these 'erberts getting off a Pullman.

We decided to go back via the GCR and a scruffy Black 5, of course we had first class tickets and the guard was very red faced when he tried to chuck us out of our compartment.

My only other experience of a Pullman was in the 70's. I used to travel up to Huddersfield from Nottingham on a friday night to see my girlfriend, right journey that was, it must have been a real pain for a non enthusiast. I had noticed, however, that the Deltic hauled 'Yorkshire Pullman' always followed us up from Wakefield to Leeds. One night, I got out at Wakefield and waited for it to come in, in came the usual gleaming Deltic with the Pullman, the stewards were waiting at the doors, I explained that I just fancied the trip to Leeds and would hang out the window of the nearest Pullman coach next to the Deltic and not bother anyone, and they let me on too, magic, the days of reasonable folk eh!!

My old man had a tandem, our only means of transport them days. My older brother went on the back and I sat on a little red seat on the cross bar in front of him. Every saturday morning we went shopping round town, but if we got back early, out came the tandem and we went down to Stanton Gate for a bit of spotting on the bridge, followed by a trip up to the Stanhope Arms at Stanton where the old man would have a pint. I clearly remember going there one day and seeing a Garrett on a freight out of Toton yard and just looking at the shaky pencil underlining in my very old Combine Volume, it was 47990!!

If you lived Radcliffe on Soar way, do you remember the little steam shunter that lived in the small shed next to the river and worked the Gypsum trains, it was all green and gleaming and always used to be outside having a service on a sunday lunchtime.

Sorry, in a bit of a mood this morning.

Did any of you old boys get involved with the infamous Ian Allan trip from Vic to Doncaster Works in 1960.

Ian Allan Publications, via the Trains Illustrated magazine organised a trip to Doncaster works, I think it was supposed to start from Leicester Central, but it was due to be pulled by City of Truro double heading with Compound 1000. Great, the old man did some overtime and paid for the 10 shillings ticket each for my brother and I and off we trotted to Vic.

The platform was solid with spotters, but did we see the great duo, no, in came a filthy B1 instead, we found out later that the trip had been massively over subscribed and anything was thrown into the fray to keep us happy. Unfortunately the B1 died on the embankment alongside Hucknall Airfield, blocking the line. After hours of mucking about, we were dragged off to Doncaster by a replacement engine and arrived hours late. We were then treated to a high speed run around the works, it was pathetic. I remember a line of gleaming pacifics being pulled out of the paint shop and being dragged away before we could see what they were. We were then ordered back on the train and taken back to Vic, I have a lovely sequence of events of this day on photos, taken by my brother.

What made it worse, was that in the panic, I left my Ian Allan books on the train and never saw them again, all those numbers lost forever.

Eventually Ian Allan Publications saw the error of their ways and sent us a book token, for their products of course, I still have the combie that I bought as a consequence of this.

As for City of Truro and Compound 1000, never saw them once on that day, have done since and even been pulled by CoT, but what a bloody shambles on the day.

Did anyone else experience it.

...Did any of you old boys get involved with the infamous Ian Allan trip from Vic to Doncaster Works in 1960....

Yes...also went on the Vic'-Donny trip in 57/58, hauled by A4 Woodcock

That went like clockwork - or should that be steamwork? :sorry:

Except she failed at the Vic' on the return trip - by which time I'd alighted - and sat at Colwick for a fortnight !

Cheers

Robt P.

So were you on our doomed train in 1960 then.

A couple of memories of that trip, remember the scrapyard on the left on the way in to Doncaster, it was full of Churchill tanks, their turrets poking above the piles of scrap metal. We were also treated to the sight of Deltic parked up at the south end of the station, I've just looked at my brothers scanned photo of it, unfortunately Photobucket says no and my computer goes barmy if I try to send anything at the moment.

...All those trips to Grantham made the LNER my favourite...

Whilst I regularly went to Grantham from the Vic', I often went to Newark Northgate either via Castle, or by bike.

A Newark 'bonus', on midweek visits, were the Donny Works-Barkston triangle and return ex-works light engine tests - which regularly produced rare Scottish Pacifics, prior to their return home. Aberdeen A2's were the great novelty, and I managed to see just about all of them at Newark...notable exception being 60525 A.H.Peppercorn, which I eventually saw at Darlington. The famous flat-crossings at both Newark and Retford were also favourite venues...

Arguably, the rarest Pacific of all in these parts was A3 60095 Flamingo, which spent all its life at Carlisle Canal on Waverley Route work...luckily she was at 'The Plant' for heavy repair on my 1958 trip.

Cheers

Robt P.

firbeck,

You mentioned you got a Ian Allen combine from the 60s, I remember seeing a loco on Radcliffe bank in the 60s with the name of Key's or Quay,s or very similar often wondered what it was but never found out, this has plagued me for over 40 years and it just might possibly be in you're combine, worth a look?

Cheers

Rog

Thanks for that Rob, Radcliffe on Soar, before the power station was built, used to cycle there from Clifton, get a few numbers, cycle over to the GC at Ruddington and get a few more before cycling to the old Lenton lane and either spotting from the gun factory bridge or from the middle of the bridge that ran alongside the scrap yards down Lenton lane.

Thanks again for sorting that one for me, tonight I shall sleep a happy man

Rog

Ratcliffe on Soar/Radcliffe on Trent! Couldn't follow the Radcliffe bit...hence my confusion, and question marks.

Only Jube' I can recall on the Nottm-Grantham line (through Radcliffe) was the preserved Leander.

Cheers

Robt P.

Ayup Rob,

My spelling mistake, Ratcliffe/Radcliffe. fingers running over my keyboard too fast in anticipation of finding out the loco that's eluded me for all these years. I'm sure you know which stretch of track i refer to, in fact it was on the TV the other night, the powers that be are looking into electrifying the Midland line

Rog

Ratcliffe/Radcliffe, I got them confused as well.

Weren't there water troughs on the line at Hathern, nearby, I have a vague memory of this, I thought that there must be some list of them on the net somewhere but no luck so far.

I can't even think where there were any others locally, can anyone remember, Clay Cross, Carlton on Trent, High Dyke??? these places ring a bell somewhere.

I used to spend time at Hest Bank troughs south of Carnforth, they were the only ones I remember being in use and getting close to, you had to watch out for the spray if something was travelling at speed, mainly Britannias in those days at the end of steam.

Troughs in the locality...East Midlands ish!

ECML: Werrington, Muskham, Scrooby

GC: Charwelton

LM: Hathern, Tamworth...unsure about Clay Cross, are you thinking of the long tunnel?

IIRC, there was a set just north of Harringworth Viaduct - but they were removed at nationalisation?

LNWR: Newbold, Hademore

Cheers

Robt P.

...on the TV the other night, the powers that be are looking into electrifying the Midland line...

They have been for decades...

The fatuous argument against is that the line is too curved to permit increased speeds.

I have a complete St Pancras-Sheffield 'cab ride' DVD, and that is not so, with the only major curve being at Market Harborough - and that has recently been eased...certainly straighter than the southern stretch of the ECML!

Already electrified up to Bedford...perhaps it is the old 'North of Watford' scenario :rolleyes:

Cheers

Robt P.

Ayup Rob,

Funny you should talk of cab ride DVD/Video, I have just finished watching 2 of them, the new 225 King cross/ Waverly street, and a Deltic cab ride on the same route, as you say some quite severe curves on the ECML, With the current state of the two "biguns" WCML and ECML it's about time the midland had a shot at it to ease the burden of the other two, but as you say, it's that divide again and it wouldn't do for us up here to show them down there how it should be done

Rog