Cornish Rockpools

When I came back from my jollies to Cornwall earlier this year ,I mentioned the rockpools that we found at Morgan Porth, some one on here (I can't remember who) commented on others in the area , can you please refresh my memory as we are going down again in a couple of weeks time , and it will be great to get the kids fishing !!

,,,, strangely enough,,,, when we used to holiday at Newquay, all the beaches seemed full of rock pools of all sizes & depths,,,,, some like wet sand, some big enough to swim in, but like everything else even nature is robbing us of a few pleasures !

You get the odd bit here & there as the tide goes out here in St Ives,,,, but nothing great,,,

I'll ask my Son to ask his mum tomorrow,,,, see if she knows o'wt locally.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Am looking forward to seeing you soon mate - have a safe journey.

Baz

Cheers Baz

Thanks Den (would you believe I actually read the whole thing looking for it , I'm going to have to get those new specs)

I thought there were some mentioned on the North Cornish coast though. It might have been on the T.V. show Coast though

Blimey what time did you get up this morning mate.

Following our last trip to Cornwall last year, might I reccomend Port Isaac. First of all, make no attempt to drive into the town, park in the top car park and walk round the cliff path, if you're lucky as we were, you might see a school of porpoises. Hopefully the tide will be out and you can sit on a rock and let the kids get on with it, it's such a pleasant enclosed bay with loads of good rock pools. Don't forget of course the fantastic fish shop next to the harbour ramp, the stuff in there is amazing and half the price of the rip off stuff at Padstein, where else can you buy a freshly boiled lobster for less than a tenner.

Word of warning, don't buy a pasty from the shop at the bottom of the hill, Doc Martin was right, they are poisonous, and when you stand in the harbour, Doc Martins 'surgery' is on the hill to your left, you can't miss it.

Another good place is Widemouth Bay, they have wierd rock formations stretching out to sea that have some really good pools, great sandy beach, nice cafe and shop as well, decent pasties, and a good deal on out of season wet suits out of the container parked next to the cafe.

Nearby is Crackington Haven, wrecked at the same time as Boscastle, but never got the publicity, loads of pools there.

Nearer to you, Polzeath is good at low tide for mussels, I picked a whole bucketful last year, they were stupendous, they even survived the journey back to Essex.

Many years ago when the Shackletons and Nimrods were flying out of St Mawgan, we hung out in Watergate Bay, good deep pools there, I remember standing on a monster crab, yes, I love crab, but I couldn't take it back and boil it myself.

Thats the one, Port Isaac, ta, It's only about 6 miles from where we stay (Nr Camelford) I don't know what I saw it on.

Still get the odd thing coming out of St Mawgan , a Couple of Hurcules in April , along with a few commercials too, plus my first view of the new Merlin.

Thats the one, Port Isaac, ta, It's only about 6 miles from where we stay (Nr Camelford) I don't know what I saw it on.

Still get the odd thing coming out of St Mawgan , a Couple of Hurcules in April , along with a few commercials too, plus my first view of the new Merlin.

Have you not been to Port Isaac, it's fantastic, scene of the Doc Martin series but called by another name.

We can't stand Padstow, Rick Stein has unfortunately inadvertently wrecked the place, everyone is cashing in on his presence and it's become a pain.

Merlins come over here all the time from Wattisham, along with those noisy snarling Apaches, we had one hovering over the town yesterday

• 2 weeks later...

If you go to St Ives - be very wary of the Car Park 'Clampers' - they are unforgiving, nasty & merciless. (take a chunk of 4x2" & a nangle grinder)

I used to side with them when the complaints were mostly from locals, saying "Boo hoo,,,, I was only 10 minutes late" and "I wuz ony at me muvvers" etc etc.

To me the clampers (tho' possibly a bit zealous) were doing their job.

When I realised that most of the moaners had their own business, I used to say "can I have a bit more beer please FREE ?" or "If I buy a pair of jeans,,,, can I have a pair of socks please - FREE ?" Of course, these business-persons would look aghast - & say NO. They don’t want to give their goods away, but expect others to.

But:

Now that I’ve seen how nasty some of the clampers have been, I no longer support them,,,,

even though your ticket is on the dashboard, it might not be the 'the way they want it to be',,,

if any part of your vehicle body is close to the lines,,, (despite having to squeeze you car into a tiny space),,,

Blue Badge holders fear no less,,,,,

pensioners with no cash on them get frog-marched to an ATM in town etc etc.

This started off in Privately owned C.Parks, but our illustrious council now use them as well. You might have read about some of their antics in the National press - of which there have been many. Every week our local press has letters of complaint & saying that they won't return etc,,,, all I can say to our Councils is: IT'S A GOOD JOB WE CAN AFFORD TO LOSE BASICALLY THE ONLY TRADE THAT WE HAVE DOWN HERE !

I usually park in a side street (no lines ?!) so i) I can't get clamped ii) the council lose out on my £2/3.

Good Luck to All Our Visitors

I do hope that's my only rant for the day,,,,,,,,,