Answers to correspondents

This is a question from a reader in the answers to correspondents page in the Dailly mail.

"Looking on Google Earth, i see a complex of bunkers and revetments partially hidden in the woods a mile south-west of Castle Ashby near Northampton. Why are they there?"

Ive had a look and they look like something to do with explosives although i`m waiting to be corrected. There is a similar set up near the Alfreton train station and i know thats an explosives factory. It would be nice to get the answer from some of the clever sods on this site before it appears in the paper.

can you give me a reference point Rob ? I see lots of things that 'could' be anything,,,,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

incidentally: does anyone know which season the G.Earth pictures were taken ?

Ordinarily I don't s'pose it matters to most visitors,,,,,, but in the instance (as in probably thousands of others) where a wood is concerned,,,,, maybe a picture taken in the winter would show more,,,, i.e: bare trees etc,,,,, whereas a picture taken mid summer could be blighted by leafy cover etc ?!

((will copy this to HELP / COMPUTER section))

Baz

Not looked at your area yet Rob but there is a layer on Google Earth that tells when each area was filmed , again I cant remember how I found it.

Having looked, it looks like a munitions factory , spread out so if one goes up the others won't , with trees to suppress any blast also. Although there doesn't appear to be any 'hard' tracks around to support transportation of any finished products to the main road running through the place

Ayup all,

Beefsteak remembering the site that I work at and it's history, the bomb dump was at the top of the site in the wood, at the side of these bunkers was a small dock area with narrow gauge rail lines coming from them to transport the bombs to waiting lorries or in our case Lancaster bombers, these lines don't show up very well on google earth, just a thought, by the way if you want to check them out the post code is LN4 4JT

Cheers

Rog