Interesting article.

"...In a case that could have come straight from the pages of a medical thriller, Italy is investigating a mysterious epidemic among former professional footballers, dozens of whom have been killed by a disease that paralyses its victims..."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle5114400.ece

Cheers

Robt P.

Very interesting article. I recall a few years back that there were concerns about the deaths of some old English players and that they were convinced it was due to them heading those big old heavy leather balls, which I'm sure some of you oldies like me were forced to do when you were kids, ( and hated it ).

Have you looked closely at Bobby Charlton recently, particularly in the current advert they show on TV. He's definately got the shakes, whether it's an early form of Parkinsons Disease, I wouldn't like to speculate, it's not for me to say, but after a long career in the game, who knows what it's done to him. He's a lovely bloke that I was honoured to see play a few times and I wish him well, but he started off in the era of those bloody awful leather balls, OK Bobby wasn't renowned for his headers, but I would have pretended to have an injury rather than be in the wall against one of those things, it must have been like facing shot from one of Victory's cannons.

IIRC, Don Revie and Paul Madeley were our more famous motor-neurone victims...

The death of former Notts & WBA striker Jeff Astle was blamed, at least in part, on years of heading the ball.

To lighten somewhat: The old trick was to leave the leather match ball soaking overnight - punt downfield from kickoff - opposing centre half heads it - olez, you're playing 10 men.

Cheers

Robt P.

A strange tale indeed. Although there is much mention of doping as a possible contributory cause I wonder if this includes the use of mainstream medicine on a regular basis. It's perhaps a bit of a stretch but maybe something in the way of long-term steroid abuse could have a connection.

Obviously this problem seems localised towards Italian footballers. Maybe there is an interaction between the long-term medication players in that part of the world use with their diet, pesticides or another factor. It sounds like a mystery that may well run and run.

Since we don't get much "real" football news over here, I have not heard of any drug/steroid issues with the players. Here it has been BIG news with baseball players but my guess is that it is pretty prevalent among "football" and hockey players too.

I would not be surprised if excessive or long term performance enhancing drugs have some part to play. I wish it could be stopped - but as long as the money is so big, the temptation to "cheat" has got to be huge. Unfortunately, I can see a day coming where the whole thing implodes - the huge salaries, payments, and drugs are going to drag it all down, maybe then we can go back to basics - which, in the end, are more entertaining and sporting anyway!

Side note - a couple of years ago we saw Mohamed Ali in the Detroit airport (he has a home in Michigan). Mary recognized him - I didn't - he looks terrible. He is almost doubled over, can only shuffle along, VERY thin and shaking. Very sad to see but my guess is, and I think he acknowledges, it is the result of years of abuse physically and from too many drugs.

• 1 year later...