First aviation day of 2009

Nice pictures there Beefsteak, and the new lens is working a treat, can't wait to see the Danish F16s, by the way, did you have your camera upside down in the first shot?

!rotfl!

Cheers mate and roll on the 8th April

Rog

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coningsby lived up to it's usual high standards, with loads of Typhoons screaming in and out plus a bonus of a pair of Danish F 16s , and on the ground a Harrier (which came in whilst we were partaking of lunch )

3daysout151.jpg

3daysout205-1.jpg

3daysout216.jpg

3daysout145.jpg

After we'd had our fill we shot over to get a picture of Barnby Manor and I was accosted by the gate house bloke as I tried to get a picture, nice friendly chap he's not !!!

3daysout222.jpg

I nearly forgot , we got a picture of the ancestral pad of Gonville Bromit (Or whatever his name is , Rog'll put me right!!) Anyway he was the character played by Micheal Cain in "ZULU"

3daysout007.jpg

After saying our good byes, I shot off to the Norfolk /Suffolk border to a place called Stoke ferry!!! wierd I know but nearby there is a place called Stow Bardolph too.

On arrival I was greeted by the sound of Tornados on night sorties , great news for tommorrow I'm thinking.!!

Wednesday 18th

I found a vantage point at nearby RAF Marham and settled down for some hot Tornado action!!! After an hour and a half all I saw was this half hidden Hawk a mile or so away.

3daysout228.jpg

So off I went to Lakenheath , about 10 miles away, and after I had found their veiwing point and got 'Buzzed' by a Black Hawk chopperI was treated to a 'Scramble' of 20 yes Firbeck 20!!!!!, F 15 Eagles, noisy to say the least.

3daysout237.jpg

3daysout232.jpg

3daysout238.jpg

3daysout288.jpg

3daysout254.jpg

I then went to Mildenhall and had a great lunch of crispy Salmon bites in a sweet chilli sauce , followed by a lovely Rump Steakl!!

More to follow

In the afternoon I returned to Lakenheath to get them coming back in . Whilst there a man listening on a scanner nearby told me that there was an emergency brewing , A Tanker was coming in half full still and with an under carriage problem , but he ended up going in a Mildenhall , I got a couple of shots from distance and as you can see his wheels were down , and as I'm still here , it didn't blow up either!!!

3daysout324.jpg

3daysout328.jpg

3daysout316.jpg

3daysout317.jpg

After a couple more hours I returned to Marham to be greeted by .........................nothing again !! In the fading light I could see a couple of Tornados ,a good few miles away , going through their paces but no real photo ops

Back to the digs for a cuppa then sat listening to the Tornados starting their night flying again !!!

More

I have just spent 1/2 an hour typing up the last day and look for it and it has dissapeared , why ?

Any way , I ended up at Duxford via Lakenheath and then home for Tea and Medals.!!

I got a couple more F 15s

Nearly went for a ride on a Dragon Rapide

Nearly bought a remote control Spitfire

Their F15 is indoors getting some TLC

As is their B 17 Flying Fortress

There is a remake of THE DAMBUSTERS coming out next year

3daysout281-1.jpg

3daysout376.jpg

3daysout365-1.jpg

Very much looking forwards to 8th April

Thanks again Rog see you soon

I also got some good video of the new Red Arrows routine , as soon as I suss out how to put it on youtube I shall post the URL

IN CASE ANYBODY MISSED IT , AVIATION DAY 1 (PART 2!!) IS GOING TO BE

WEDNESDAY 8th APRIL 2009

This way we should get to see the new 2009 Typhoon display being rehearsed

I said

IN CASE ANYBODY MISSED IT , AVIATION DAY 1 (PART 2!!) IS GOING TO BE

WEDNESDAY 8th APRIL 2009

This way we should get to see the new 2009 Typhoon display being rehearsed

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd give this a big

BUMP

and remind you all that it's less than a month away (Wednesday 8th April) so I could do with knowing the attendance figures as I need to organise transport (Car pooling etc)

So far it's Me and Rog , the Oracle, along with Fynger and Mrs Fynger,

Also found this thought you might find it usefull Rog (Any body else for that matter!!)

EAST KIKBY MUSEUM DATES 2009

May 4th- American Air day- Amercian reenactors, static Dakota, Lancaster Taxy runs, 2 x Dakota flying display, P-51D flying display

May 23-25th EK43- RAF re-enactment day taking East Kirkby back to 1943.

On Saturday 23rd- RAF re-enactments, Lancaster taxy runs, full BBMF flypast.

On Monday 25th- RAF re-enactments, Lancaster taxy runs, unknown flying displays.

Saturday 1st August- RAFBF Air show (Participants TBC)

Monday 31st August- Lancaster taxy runs, a small flying display may take place but TBC.

Saturday Sept 12th- Hopefully a Spitfire and Me 109 (Buchon) dogfight with pyrotechnics TBC by Arco and Duxford.

As far as we know we're cheating as ( unless plans change ) we're spending the night before and after at our mates in Sleaford ......will post if theres any change. ( less driving on the day hee hee )

Beefsteak

I was surprised to see that you hadn't visited Lakenheath and Mildenhall before, fantastic places, both of them, I'm sorry that you didn't get there a few years ago before the 'Evil Empire' destroyed the Twin Towers, things have never been quite the same since and it caused the demise of probably Europes greatest Airshow, Mildenhall Air Fete. It's also a shame that I didn't give you a few tips on where to go and what to look out for, still perhaps you'll go again and I can give you a tour.

I presume that you went straight to the Lakenheath viewing enclosure on the Brandon Road, a great place, but a sad one, did you know that Ian Huntley dumped Holly and Jessica nearby, he must have driven them along that lane past the enclosure, I wouldn't be surprised if he was picked up on security cameras, it was never stated at the trial, but I reckon it may have had something to do with his arrest.

I've been going up there regularly since the 70's, it's only about 40 minutes drive for me up the back roads, I remember the F-111's prior to the F-15E Strike Eagles arriving, though now you have the pure fighter version, the F-15C single seaters as well, your 20 ship take off was probably a mixture of both.

If you drive along the road to the village, there's a hill with a nature reserve that looks right down on the base, the nuclear weapons store is open to observation on the left and often you used to get some wierd things parked up there, there used to be an old F-15A used for handling exercises, a Phantom, but better still, an F-105 Thunderchief still in it's Vietnam colour scheme.

The Phantom, F-15 and an F-111 are now mounted in the memorial park in the airfield, but it's impossible to get to see them, only the F-100 gate guard is visible from the road.

They regularly used to hold craft and antique fairs in one of the hangars behind the golf course, next to where the visiting aircraft are parked. The last time I went, security was pretty lax, no checks going in, we wandered over to the hangar past a line of Italian Starfighters, great stuff, then took a drive round the base, visiting the memorial park and going to the shopping precinct, no-one could give a damn then. After 9/11, they put screens up along the fence so that you can't even see in and closed off the public road through the middle of the base, very sad.

We've seen some interesting exercises over the years, the deployment of F-117 Stealths and the last time I was there, these chaps from Germany, they were actually armed up for live firing on the Wash ranges.

A103.jpg

A101.jpg

A102.jpg

We once stood around at half term while the base was put on a chemical attack exercise, machine guns poking out of bunkers and armed troops everywhere, at the critical moment, the sirens sounded and everyone threw themselves to the ground while we sat on the bonnet of the car and ate our sandwiches, it was a wierd feeling.

Mildenhall used to have a viewing area, you may have seen it, just along the perimeter near what is now the main entrance. This area closed hurriedly the day after 9/11 and never reopened, a temporary access to the base was opened nearby, guarded by Hummers with roof mounted heavy machine guns that tracked you as you drove along the road. Again, they used to let you in to the club for antique fairs and the like, but all this area and roads that used to be open to the public are now closed off and guarded.

You can drive right round the back, an enterprising farmer opened up his field and built a viewing platform next to the end of the runway, but we went up there one evening and had to be rescued by the farmer from being arrested, a sad state of affairs. There is a good spot by a crash gate around there, but beware of the pykies that for some strange reason are allowed to live next to it.

There's another crash gate reached via an industrial estate that comes out next to the tankers parked up.

I went there post 9/11 and they had drafted in a regiment of National Guardsmen from the Mid West to guard the base, strung out along the fence at 100 yard intervals, they were just kids who hadn't even been allowed outside the fence, lovely blokes who were dying to talk but kept being harrassed by NCO's.

At that time, the airfield was absolutely packed with aircraft, so many in fact that they had to shove some over at Lakenheath.

I've seen some interesting stuff up there as well, believe it or not, the last time I was watching circuits and bumps and came home back along the A14 Newmarket by-pass, I nearly drove off the road at the sight of 'Air Force One' on finals, I've seen the Government aircraft up there before, they tend to park on the south side of the airfield.

It's wierd too, going into the town and seeing all those American cars with their Anglisized number plates, unfortunately, the famous model and American Comic shops have dissapeared.

Things are so different from the early 90's, we had Alconbury, Bentwaters, Woodbridge and Wethersfield, along with the Tornados at Honnington, Phantoms at Wattisham and Jags at Coltishall, all good days out for my son and his mates when they were little, all long gone in the cause of peace, but what happened to that.

While looking for those A10 pictures, I found these trapped inside my computer.

If you like Jaguars, this was the very last day of operations at Coltishall, I can't believe it was only two years ago. These last examples were flying off to Conningsby following the disbandonment ceremony, only one failed and had to stay behind.

True to form, my video camera packed up, I resorted to my excellent Canon film camera, but the spare films I had put out hadn't found their way into the bag, so I had to resort to my inadequate digi camera, better than nothing, but try and capture anything moving on the ground let alone in the air, is virtually impossible.

Coltishall was great, you could really get up close, the fences were only 3 feet high and consisted of three strands of wire, if at all, these were taken at the east end of the runway and remember my camera has a lack of decent zoom, yes, the noise and heat from the engines was unbearable, I would love you to see the video of the actual final display and ceremony I was shivering at a few months earlier, but even that video recorder has died so I can't watch a blooming thing anymore.

colt1.jpg

colt3.jpg

colt2.jpg

colt4.jpg

colt5.jpg

colt6.jpg

colt7.jpg

colt8.jpg

colt9.jpg

colt10.jpg

Sorry that they aren't up to your excellent standards Beefsteak, I'll get you back when I carry out my next armed robbery and buy a new camera.

Incidentally, you mentioned on your comment about DX, a couple of things.

Firstly the Sally B has had it's blown engine replaced and was taken out of the hangar on February 24th and given a static run up, it was fine, look at the video on the TFC Friends Blog, so she'll be up this season, hopefully along with the Vulcan.

What did they tell you about the Dam Busters film, because as far as I know, Peter Jackson has put the production on hold, I don't think that Stephen Fry has even finished the screenplay yet.

The GRP Lancasters have apparently been made in China and could have been shipped over to New Zealand where most of the filming is taking place, but the whole production is shrouded in mystery.

I can't see this film being ready next year, but who knows, Plantfitt had better keep sniffing around Scampton because I know that some filming is due to take place there, look out for plastic Lancasters travelling around Lincolnshire. Incidentally, in the interests of PC, Gibsons dog will not be called Nigger in the film, what a load of rubbish and an artificial slant on history, I'm sure you are aware that it was the code word for the succesful bombing of the Dams, so what are they going to say instead, I'll leave it to your imagination.

I found the crash gates at "The Hall" by trial and error (Including the one at the top end of the runway) but I was just out of luck . Nothing up at all, apart from when I was back at the viewing area at Lakenheath, and a tanker went in under emergency, (I think I posted pics earlier)

I was aware of that bastards connection to Lakenheath, as the bloke who was scanning whilst I was there told me.

I was a little unfortunate with the weather (No rain just really over cast) and I wasn't able to get the kind of shots I would have liked . But I nearly got in the cockpit with these two !!

3daysout340.jpg

You were posting those last pics whilst I was making dinner and typing that last report.

Some good photos there ,and here's a treat for you (By the way it was the CO's Jag that wouldn't fly!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRxwdwYBiMg

and the "Grand finale"

I didn't hear all the story re "The Dambusters" remake , I got there just as matey boy, dressed as a WW2 jock, was finishing his tale. I just heard him telling the kids to watch out for it's release next year.

Why not get the real Dam Buster story and come on our Aviation day, visit their squadron mess room in the Petwood Hotel and have coffee, then have lunch in their favourite watering hole The Blue Bell and with a bit of luck the BBMF Lancaster might be flying on that day.

Contact Sqdn Ldr Beefsteak for details

Rog

I would like to come but unless a miracle happens, then I would be unlikely to afford the petrol, let alone a cup of coffee in the Petworth Hotel. It's a wierd time for me anyway, I can't plan anything at the moment on the off chance that I might actually get an interview or even a job!!!

On the other hand, I've just realised that it's mothers 93rd birthday a few days afterwards so I might be able to plan something around that, not to go and see my mother would be unthinkable, even if I have to hitchhike up to Nottingham, I'll see what I can stick on E-Bay.

I've found a few forgotten things today, I always took video footage at Mildenhall Air Fete post 1990, but I found a few odds and sods of pictures from 1998, some unusual aircraft on there for Beefsteak to appreciate, not many though compared to what must have been on show that day:-

hall1.jpg

The fighter display park.

hall2.jpg

Slovak Mig-29

hall5.jpg

Slovak Antonov Clank?

hall3.jpg

USAF C-17

hall4.jpg

C-141

hall6.jpg

French AF Jaguars

hall7.jpg

Swedish AF Viggen

hall10.jpg

Actually, this is a rarity, the USAF don't have display pilots based over here so their routines are mainly flybys, in this case, the demonstration team were shipped over.

hall8.jpg

Steve Hinton and Ed Shipley flying the P-51's

hall12.jpg

hall11.jpg

hall9.jpg

The Turkish Stars flying F-5E's, worth seeing for their excitable commentator alone.

hall13.jpg

A10 Thunderbolt2

hall14.jpg

The Reds with special tail markings for the 80th anniversary of the RAF.

I hope that was of interest, best airshows ever at the Hall, and as for their burgers and polish sausage, I can't bear to think of what we are missing.