San Francisco Area Transit Authority

Someone had to say it, Sorry Kev but no1

You need to come further south.

It can be seen if you know where to look, but its not officially open to public access.

There is not much left of the rail industry in Derby.

I think the area that you mention might be private offices now. or Is it Bombardier?

There was a training school London Road/Ascot Drive juntion. This might have gone?

The tram in question is located on the right side of Litchurch Lane as you go from London Road.

Its just off a large yard and is parked parrallel to the railway line.

Recently vandalised by the local scrotes, its now in a sad state of repair.

It belongs to a local company, but I have no idea how it got over from the US.

It can be seen from Maps.Live.com or Google maps.

http://maps.live.com/#JndoZXJlMT1MaXRjaHVy...DkxNDE1ODI2MzI0

http://maps.google.co.uk

Hi Mick,

Shows how long it is since I have been down London Road.

I believe some of the site is now DeltaRail Group

According to the previous link two tram sets came to the UK for the Manchester Commonwealth Games. One set went to Manchester and the other to Derby. I asume Derby had to evaluate it for safety.

I do not know why they were not used, perhaps no better than what Manchester already had.

Thanks Kev

I was on this tram last year, when it was reported as vandalised.

All the windows were smashed out. It was in a very used condition, complete with SF used tickets. why would it be brought here for Manchester?

Hi Mick,

I know no more than the other site says:

The tram in particular is a US Standard Light Rail Vehicle which was part of the San Francisco 'Muni Metro' system, and was sent to the UK in 2002 along with a identical vehicle for evaluation for use on the Manchester Metrolink Tram System ahead of the Commonwealth games. One went to Manchester Metrolink, and sits in storage while the other went to the Railway safety testing facilities in Derby and sits rotting away besides the Mainline railway.

I suppose that whilst Manchester may have tested for use on the rails the Derby example was for UK/Euro safety & compliance testing?