remember tapered jeans, turned up shirt collars, winkle pickers, dont know about the rest of you but that was me and my mates in the early 60s. then such a change, made to measure suits, smart hair cuts (no brylcream) levi jeans & the music, the drifters, soul supply, tamla motown, the dungeon club,the brit, the boat and all the other places too numerous to mention. how did it begin? i never gave it a thought, just accepted it. then recently my wife and i holidayed in barbados & the place to be on a friday night there is oystens. its a fish market but on a friday night the car park becomes a dance arena and you eat out under the stars at all the booths they open up. there is a small permenant bar named lexies with a small dance floor and one of those old fashioned globes, local couples were danceing to what i can only discribe as country music, then they started to play some of the stuff we used to dance to the drifters beb e king, well we were back in the dungeon club, the atmosphere was electric and we stayed for hours danceing even went back the following friday for some more. just a thought did the west indians bring that scene with them when they were emigrating to this country back in the late fifties & early sixties. love to know your thoughts

mg

Wecome MG

My memories of leaving school in the early 60s was The Jamaican Ska Reggae which originated with the influx of Carribean Immigrants.

Craig will probably have more to say about the Souls side as it originated from the American Gospel/Equality struggle.

It became mainstream in the UK. This was as a result of people like Terry Hefford at the Santa Fe, and other DJ's at that time. But where they got it from, I would not know? I was too young.

Whilst there you probably got some of their 'Suka' which is like a cross over from Reggae to Calypso , really exciting stuff. Think Arrow ...hot hot hot and the more recent Baha men ....Who let the dogs out?

If you cross this again with some spiritual stuff , it's not hard to see where the more jazzed up spiritual (Or 'soul' music) comes from .

Just my opinion, but it's a thought that I came upon when pondering music progression one day.

Whilst there you probably got some of their 'Suka' which is like a cross over from Reggae to Calypso , really exciting stuff. Think Arrow ...hot hot hot and the more recent Baha men ....Who let the dogs out?

If you cross this again with some spiritual stuff , it's not hard to see where the more jazzed up spiritual (Or 'soul' music) comes from .

Just my opinion, but it's a thought that I came upon when pondering music progression one day.

Do you mean Soca? cos thats what most black guys I know refer to it as......?

In the really early days of mod, the music played wasnt as we think of it, in fact it was very much more avant garde jazz stuff, but at which point it changed, I dont know.

When The Beatles were still playing The Cavern, sailors would bring in the R&B and Motown from The States, and thats how come we got so many cover tracks from the 4, including the likes of Money, and Please Mr Postman, both Motown tracks.

Maybe at this stage, the mods of the day picked up on it. Im sure it will be written somewhere on Google or Wiki for a full explanation, in fact, im gonna nip there now! Back later.

Back now, Wiki echoes what I already wrote here, but doesnt give a time at which the music changed mainly to soul and Motown, (and ska)

I have agreat track from my first visit to Barbado (1989) They have a song competion each year for "Crop over" festival and the winner gets recorded and broadcast every where . If I can remember how I'll download it to hear.

(By the way Craig , I only ever heard it talked about and never saw the word written down!!)