A mate of mine is moving south and was clearing his freezer.He passed me some prepacked TV dinners to use up instead of chucking them.

The next day I tried one...chicken, roast potatoes and veg....Jeeeeeeesus!!!! Do people actually eat this muck?...I nibbled the edge of one rubber based potato and piece of chicken...ten seconds later they were all in the bin.

I can't believe that companies con the public into buying this crap with the pretty picture on the packet...but they obviously do.

How any self respecting Mother could feed this to kids I don't know.That's my first taste of a TV dinner in sixty odd years..and definitely the last.

Having nothing else in the house,I grilled a few drumsticks under the grille and mashed a few 'taters with a sprinkle of cheese on, only took thirty minutes.Nothing to crow about but at least it was edible.To hell with ready meals.

Perhaps they'd been in his freezer for too long, was King George VI part of the pretty picture on the front.

Yes, some meals are cr@p, but there are decent ones, and they are of benefit to some people. My mum is 93 next week, she can still cook well, but sometimes likes an easy life, she gets ready meals from the corner shop when she feels like it and sticks them in the microwave, I know she wouldn't eat rubbish and they do her a favour, not every old dear wants, or needs to, rely on 'meals on wheels'. They are a good alternative for people like her and they ain't done her any harm either, she's still as bright as a button, whatever e-numbers, as they used to call them, are contained inside this stuff.

I'm not too keen on your alternative menu, the chippie sounds a better bet.

My old lady used to like the Sainsbury's ready to eat cottage pie..fair enough that wasn't bad...but this crap!!!

As for my local chippie..for a fiver you can feed the local foxes and magpies 'cause most of his stuff finishes up on the street.

Oh for fish and chips like they used to be....Apart from Londons East End and the East coast I think the skill of making decent fish 'n chips has been lost.

There used to be some cracking chippies round Nottingham...but the old timers who knew how to cook 'em are long gone.

Do you like chinese chicken curry? For years I tried to replicate THAT taste, had the kids in tears! windows and door wide open! kitchen on fire! but now I've cracked it, True I cheat by using a sauce but I reckon ALL the chinky chip shops use the the same, You can even buy it in 4.5kg buckets!

Get a Wok or large frying pan with a little oil smoking hot, ready to burst into flames, chuck in some 1" cubes of chicken cut from fresh or thawed frozen and stir fry for 2 minutes ONLY, the add onion, large one cut in as large cubes as you can and couple of mushroom again "cubed" fry for another minute ONLY or till scorched, then tip on plate and add pre heated Mayflower brand chinese curry sauce, this you can buy at Farm Foods, 2 frozen sachets for £1.08, one sachet is enough for 2, try it!