I am hopefully making my promised flying visit to Notts next week (depending on my Son's work shifts).

I was about to get a laptop to bring with me,,,, but then thought it might be better (ie: cheaper) to get one up there.

My Son & I are after one each along the lines of:

3/4 gb RAM > 250+ hdd > 2+ gb CPU > decent graphics card > Card reader/writer > wireless etc.

My son is after one with Bluray,,, but I'm not that bothered.

We are looking at something like Acer 6530G.

Is there anywhere in Nottingham where we can get a better deal than the internet ? We've looked at Dabs, e-buyer, Laptops direct etc.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Been looking at STEVES SHORT STAY SELF CATERING properties,,,,, any opinions either way please ?

Feel free to recommend other self catering / short term places - for two fully domesticated none smokers. We'll be out all day 'touring my old haunts', and eating out mostly.

thanks for reading

Baz

No opinion on the accomdation Bazza, but I've just got a good Packard Bell from Currys with all the above + for £349 ,it even has 'Photoshop' included and ofcourse the wireless stuff , works well , Windows Vista too.

Are you back for the 17th - 25th May??

Laptop: My son just ordered Acer 5920G (for BluRay). It includes Vista, which put me off. I'm after sommat simlier, but with XP. Sods law dictates that if I buy one off the 'net,,,, someone up there will be doing the same thing at half the price.

Visit Date: Yep, if we make it at all, it'll only be for a couple of days next week. My son isn't exactly sure of his work yet, but it's looking likely. He works for a Railway subcontractor, & usually they only give him a few hours notice, then expect him to travel all over the south of england,,,, maybe just for one shift. We should be back b4 the weekend.

Is that when you'r down this way ?

Hope the weather picks up for you,,,, it's been atrocious for the past couple of weeks,,,, never mind April showers, it's been like November storms. Quite a bit of flooding,,,, with the St Ives Multi million pound Flood Defence system (only finished a couple of weeks ago) is totally useless - who would have guessed ?

Baz

The general feeling over here is to avoid Vista - get XP Pro if you can, but even XP Home is acceptable. Most of the laptop sellers (notably, Dell, Gateway and HP) are now charging a premium to supply laptops without Vista - this is because they get Vista at a discounted price because of all the "free" junk that comes with it. The "downgrade" to XP is well worth it!

One of the big Tesco's is worth a look. Got a Dell for my lad from there £40 cheaper than Dell direct. How can they do that. You will be stuck with Vista though but you soon get used to it and with the latest service pack on it he has had no trouble at all

I won't have Vista. If all else fails, I'll wait for Windows 7 to come out.

A lot of Acer laptops can be downgraded,,,, and a lot ar E-Buyer have XP,,,

trouble is, I don't fancy Acer,,, & I hate dealing with E-Buyer !

I think for the time being that i'll just grab sommat at PCW - with XP & see if I can afford to upgrade when W7 comes out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What I didn't want to do, is get sommat off the interweb,,,,,,, only to get to Nottingham, & someone comes and say's "ere,,,, I do them a lot cheaper" !

Thanks for the heads-up guys.