Hi Folks,

Does anyone have any photographs of either of these two tunnels before they were abandoned?

Watnall (Kimberley) GNR Tunnel has been totally obliterated by earthing-over. The parallel 268 yard bore at SK507452 situated slightly south of the Midland on the Derby Friargate to Nottingham line is completely obliterated with no visible trace at either end although the course of the line at either end & across the top of the erstwhile tunnel is now a public bridleway.

The 147 yard Watnall (Cantelupe) Midland tunnel at [sK504454] on the Midland Ilkeston to Basford branch has been infilled for years with colliery waste but that has settled partially revealing both portals & giving some 'crawing space' inside the Western portal to about 15 yards where the gap narrows to a few inches. The trackbed leading up to the Eastern portal is waterlogged. The deep cutting at the Eastern end is relatively dry & walkable for at least a couple of hundred yards.

G G

post-2059-1242425929_thumb.jpg

If you search the heading Long Gone Railways, you'll find a lot of information and photographs on there.

This is a picture of the eastern end of the MR tunnel at Watnall that I took circa 1965/66 which I've already published on there somewhere and also a picture of the original MR bridge number from the next bridge along the line:-

kimb2.jpg

kimb1-1.jpg

Hope that helps, and welcome to the forum.

I have pix of the other end....Kimberley end....the tunnel is still there just filled with a big pile of dirt...Tho i was told by 'young un' ( he grew up round here ) that as kids they could squeeze through the fill at one side and get into the tunnel....Tho when it dries out we intend to try and get pix of Firbecks picture to show how it is now.

On 'Picture the past' you can see the tunnel in use from the kimberley end.

If you go to page 4 of my blog you can see my misses 'Martine' climbing the 'tunnel fill'

• 1 month later...
Hi Folks,

Does anyone have any photographs of either of these two tunnels before they were abandoned?

Watnall (Kimberley) GNR Tunnel has been totally obliterated by earthing-over. The parallel 268 yard bore at SK507452 situated slightly south of the Midland on the Derby Friargate to Nottingham line is completely obliterated with no visible trace at either end although the course of the line at either end & across the top of the erstwhile tunnel is now a public bridleway.

The 147 yard Watnall (Cantelupe) Midland tunnel at [sK504454] on the Midland Ilkeston to Basford branch has been infilled for years with colliery waste but that has settled partially revealing both portals & giving some 'crawing space' inside the Western portal to about 15 yards where the gap narrows to a few inches. The trackbed leading up to the Eastern portal is waterlogged. The deep cutting at the Eastern end is relatively dry & walkable for at least a couple of hundred yards.

G G

Hi GG,

I walked from Cinderhill to Kimberley a couple of times in the early 70's along the GNR track bed - I wish I'd taken a camera with me. Most of the route was still clear then, although the spoil heap from Babbington (or Cinderhill?) pit had obliterated part west of Cinderhill Road, and I remember that bit being quite tricky going. After the M1 bridge it got quite wet because the draining had obviously broken down. I remember the tunnel portals were particularly distinctive, the tops being "pitched" to a point, rather than the usual flat. I found a photograph on the "Picturethepast" website.

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend....UALS;NCCC001907

If that doesn't work just search for Watnall on the site and you'll soon find it.

I remember the portals being more distinctive than the photograph, but the photograph notes mention the coping stones being dislodged - I guess I was there before the photograph was taken.

I did go into the Midland Ilkeston to Basford branch tunnel around the same time and remember large chunks of the lining had collapsed. The approaches were very overgrown - more than in firbeck's excellent photograph.

CW

Incidentally, with regard to my tunnel photo, just in case anyone might know them, the kid on the left is Derrick Kent, now retired and living in Dawlish, Devon, lucky devil. The kid on the right is Melvyn Hill, last known working at BRB Derby in the Research Centre/ Works/ Sheds, whatever they are now known as, both pupils of BGS.

Anyone know either of them?