International Space Station

Managed to get a couple of shots as it passed over head tonight (Not too clever I know but it is 300 miles away !!!)

damage006.jpg

damage009.jpg

damage010.jpg

Oh wow... (you sure its not a UFO ;) )

The space station isnt very big is it? so you did well to photograph that... how did you know what it was?

Hello mate, how are you doing, you've been a bit quiet recently, bloody brilliant shots, you can certainly make out the shape.

I saw on Ceefax that the Shuttle launch had been delayed again but that a Russian space craft is due to dock with the space station shortly, it could be quite an interesting sight seeing the ISS, shuttle and Russian craft following each other across the sky, oh, and the toolbox, it all looked amazing when you put me on to it a few months ago. Have you been watching some of these programmes celebrating the 40th anniversary of the moon landings, some of the digitally enhanced footage was incredible.

A question here, what were you doing on the night that Armstrong stepped onto the moon, can you remember it, were you allowed up to watch it, you must have been, what, 8 at the time.

Me, as bad luck would have it, I was working in the kitchen at Butlins, Minehead, as a student worker, on the late night shift, that meant following late night diners, everything had to be spotlessly clean by the next morning so we didn't finish till 1:00am. I remember wandering up to the staff bar where half the camp staff were gathered round the telly. Wasn't it all delayed, I know I had foolishly allowed myself to be persuaded to take part in the early morning shift and had to be back in the kitchen at 7:30, so, feeling knackered, I crawled off to bed and missed it.

Can anyone else recall what they did that night.

Hello mate, how are you doing, you've been a bit quiet recently, bloody brilliant shots, you can certainly make out the shape.

A question here, what were you doing on the night that Armstrong stepped onto the moon, can you remember it, were you allowed up to watch it, you must have been, what, 8 at the time.

The Monday morning (BST) was my first (official) day at work.

Been rather busy getting the house on the market etc. Still not finished editing my Waddo pics yet either, but I have got a bit of a problem with photobucket, it won't upload more than a couple of pics at a time. I use the bulk loader and it jams after 4 or 5 shots.

On Sunday night I watched it go over and saw , what I thought, was the Shuttle in front of it, this turned out to be the unmanned Russian cargo ship, which was later jettisoned to burn up in the atmosphere.!!

As for the Landing , I remember seeing the footage in the CooP in Gedling, it couldn't have been live though.

Incidental , (Eh Mick) We were (Mick2me and I) in Florida in 1994 for the 25th anniversary, and ventured over to the Kennedy Centre at Cape Canaveral to bump into "Gaz Top none stop" (Gareth to my friends) filming a tribute programme. We were used as extras and were filmed crossing the gantry that the Astronauts used to enter the capsule

We went to the Kennedy Space Center last time we were there, and were disappointed to find that the tours no longer took you close to the launch pads :(

We went back in 1989 and it was a much better tour, but of course then it wasnt a commercial/touristy thing to do, but we did go quite close to the launch pads...

It's a great shot (But how much did his gear cost ???................LOL)

You can never have too much camera equipment, and nobody tell SWMBO how much I have just paid for a Canon 40D with Canon Battery grip !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I too have been to space Kennedy back in the dark ages before steam light [1980]

We were on a two destination holiday in Florida, those were the days when to get to Florida one had to change planes [not in mid air but at New York for an internal flight down, I believe it’s a straight flight there now, those were the good old days ahhhh thank god for nostalgia.

Our first destination was a sea side hotel minus donkeys and was told not to go out at night, if one did and one ventured of the beaten track so to speak one was liable not to be seen again, well not until ones underpants were washed up several miles down the coast.

The children loved it they spent ever day light hour in the pool ahhh to be young.

We spent most of our day light hours playing twiddle winks and beach volleyball.

At night it was customary to get out of ones head on the local firewater, the kids loved it.

While at our first of two hotels there was an incident, awoke one morning to be greeted with the county sheriffs department in the bedroom across from ours, apparently there had been a murder…the kids loved it.

The next incident was at the second hotel that was situated on international drive the whole of Florida’s fire brigade showing up one evening, good job our hotel was directly across from Wet and Wild...the kids loved it.

Getting back to space Kennedy, we had gone there to see a satellite launch but it got delayed until the next day, we watched it take off from our bedroom window, just looked like a two and a tanner standard fireworks rocket minus the bang at the end of it’s upward motion. ahhh nostalgia.the kids loved it, never been since.

Bip. imsorry

I have been fortunate enough to see two shuttle launches, the first one we were so close (well as close as we could be before the roads were closed) and to feel the earth shake and see the water ripple from the sheer force is incredible. I thought I had some photos of it somewhere, but while looking though my old pics, I havent managed to find them (and I'm really narked that I havent) The second time I saw it we only got part of the way from Orlando before the shuttle was launched. My hubby took my eldest to see one when we were there, but my twins were too young to be woken up at stupid oclock to get there in time to watch it

Been to a launch a few years ago, It was cancelled, after travelling across fron Clearwater beach

(where The hotelier said "you can watch it from here")

We were there a couple of weeks ago, Planned to see a launch, got up at 4am, checked the

web to find it had been cancelled! I think were a jinx on NASA!

Both our times were "pure luck" It never entered our minds that there might be a launch. In fact one of the times we found out by accident, and we set off straight away...

Its a good job the roads are straight between Orlando and Cape Canaveral, we got a good view parked on the side of the road :)

Shuttle due to launch in 23 minutes, unfortunately the live web TV feed from Nasa is down.

ISS due to pass over W to SE in about an hour, I wonder if the shuttle will be on the same track by then.

Succesful launch, shuttle half way across Atlantic, live pictures of launch came on with about 10mins to go, repeating launch now on NASA tv, camera on fuel tank was quite impressive.

I've just seen something very strange, scanning the sky to the East at about 45 degrees, a brilliant light, twice as bright as the ISS suddenly flared up and then died, something in orbit must have exploded, but there were no trails or anything moving, very odd, I've seen things like that before, it's often tumbling debris, but this came from no-where.

Reckon we saw ISS Sunday night very bright sort of sw to ne over RoT, then last night w to e at about 11.30, if not that then oo-er! aliens have landed? a clue last night was further it got to the east the dimmer it got till when only just past us it faded from view (not a distance thing) does that sound right?

I've just seen something very strange, scanning the sky to the East at about 45 degrees, a brilliant light, twice as bright as the ISS suddenly flared up and then died, something in orbit must have exploded, but there were no trails or anything moving, very odd, I've seen things like that before, it's often tumbling debris, but this came from no-where.

Solved that one, I saw another last night, apparently they are called Iridium Flares, it's the reflection off the antanae of Iridium Communication satellites, reflecting the sun briefly while they re-align themselves.

Ever since the shuttle has been up there, the weather has been naff with cloud cover at the pass time every night, haven't seen a thing for a week.

Nor us, though interesting aircraft sighting yesterday, 2 "radar aircraft", both 2 or 3 engines in the tail and round disk on top, flying N to S over radcliffe very close together at one time one above the other as seen when refuelling

• 4 years later...

Don't miss it , starting tonight at 22.11 (eleven minutes past ten) look west and it will appear and travel right above your heads. Hope it stays clear.