Seeing that it was later Clare Hall , this could be where I got my "was a female and the land stretched down to the Trent!!. " bit from .

Would that be Plumtre square that ran down past the Town arms pub? some one was posting about Granby electrical or Granby and Key in that area not long ago.

Aren't all the paving slabs at the back of St Mary's church old head stones from the plague era? seem to recall reading about them somewhere but not sure where now

Rog

Now then......

The print on that link is of the mansion I've been on about and it's Pierrepont Hall...now if thats the case, but Thurland was the biggest house in Nottingham for very many years, how come Thurland doesn't stand out like a sore thumb on the larger picture?

Seeing that it was later Clare Hall , this could be where I got my "was a female and the land stretched down to the Trent!!. " bit from .

Hate to quote myself but it may be this where I got my female bit from

"originally erected by Dame Agnes Mellers and her trustees in 1513."

Incidently, there were caves on Plumtre Square that were inhabited till the 1930's!! just to link two topics together.!!

You may also be interested in this link:

http://www.nonington.com/Webb%20History/fredville.htm

If you read the history of this place, it would seem that the Plumptre family inherited it by marriage in the 18th Century. It would have made an interesting journey, tooing and froing between Nottingham and Kent in those times. Unfortunately the house is no more, it was 'accidentally' burnt down by Canadian troops in WW2.

Does anyone know how the Plumptre family made their fortune, it looks like they were pals of King John, so it's a surprise that they didn't feature in the legends of Robin Hood, or perhaps the dastardly Sheriff was a Plumptre, after all, the family obviously had a lot of power.

The Sheriff was of the "Peverill" family, also responsible for "Peverill Castle" near Castleton Derbyshire.

• 5 months later...

Re the view of Nottingham..

gghhjj-1.jpg

This print shows that building as a mansion with extensive laid out gardens...Whoever lived there had lotsa money...ideas anyone?

bbbgg.jpg

This could be Plumptree House, this is mentioned a few times in Grangers book 'Old Nottingham' 1903/1904, as is Plumptree street. It may even say who lived there in the book but I haven't come across that yet, only half way through!