Dambusters training range to close

RAF Wainfleet in East Anglia, which is used by the RAF, the USAF and other European air forces for bombing practice, was opened more than 70 years ago.

It will close on Dec 2, reportedly saving the MoD up to £12 million a year.

Frequent visitors to the site during the Second World War included the 617 Squadron, later known as the Dambusters, which dropped “bouncing bombs” over the Ruhr Valley in Germany during Operation Chastise.

The decision to close Wainfleet, one of the RAF’s five live weapons ranges, has been criticized by a senior RAF crewman, who told a newspaper: “MoD penny-pinchers think a simulator is the answer to everything, but it is not.”

A Wainfleet Range operator said unexploded bombs reported to be buried in its grounds could make it difficult to sell.

An RAF spokesman said: “It is one of five air weapons ranges and is not used for pre-deployment training. The site is now surplus to RAF requirements as there is capacity at other sites.”

The site was opened full-time in 1938 but was in use for artillery in the 1890s and during the First World War.

We shall be visiting another on Wednesday , (Donna Nook) which should still have some testing of flares going on, so we could be lucky (Although we are officially going to view the Seal pups !!)

Kev,

If ever you are out that way there's a nice preserved two seat lightning at the gate to the Wainfleet golf club. I have a picture somewhere I'll try to up load it

Rog,

PS are you coming over on Wednesday

WainfleetLightning3.jpg

The wainfleet lightning acting as gate guard for the Wainfleet Golf Club,

Littlebro: seen that one many a time when we go over to Edwinstowe or Rufford, it's in very good condition, are you thinking of putting a bid in for it?

Rog

• 5 months later...

Remembering

This year, 2010, 16 May will fall on a Sunday. On another Sunday 16 May, in 1943, 133 aircrew in 19 Lancaster aircraft took off from RAF Scampton on what would prove to be the RAF’s most famous bombing operation of the Second World War, the attack on the dams of the Ruhr.

dambustersblog

I can remember going to the Derwent dam near Sheffield in 1988 on May 16 for the 45th anniversary, we got there at about 06.30 hrs and there wasn't a sole about, we had a walk around the area to pick our spot to watch the proceedings, it was on the hillside overlooking the seating area for the Dambuster crew and other dignitaries, the sun began to rise over the opposite hillside, at the appointed time the 617 aircrew association began their parade and the service started with God Save the Queen and ended with Abide With Me and the Blessing, a flypast by the Lancaster from the BBMF through the dam towers quickly followed by two passes from a 617 squadron Tornado, got some pictures somewhere I will try to upload if anyone interested, BTW I pass the official Dambusters memorial in Woodhall Spa every day on my way to work which happens to be where the Dambuster sqdn spent the rest of the war (RAF Woodhall Spa)

Rog

That there Lightning is the one I've just found the link to ................ I was always slow !!

I was on my way to Duxford today for their Battle of Britain celebrations (Loads of Hurricanes and Spits plus the Lanc) but SWMBO had to go to work so that put paid to that , i then found out that there was to be a flypast at Manchester Airport at 16.30 but that has been cancelled due to the ash cloud !!! Bad day all round!!

Last Sunday everything was up and it was cloudy , not condusive for photography, this week its bright sunshine and everything is cloudy !!!!

Just as a matter of interest the Lightening at Thorpe camp is in the process of being re painted in the colour scheme of No 111 squadron, so far the tail fin has been painted along with squadron markings and the spine along the back of the plane has been painted gloss black,don't know why yet but will ask the question, pictures to follow when complete.

Rog