I lived in Rupert st, My, Family left Nottingham to come to Australia 23 june 1967, Dad said the Council was buying all the land up to put a motorway in , so we might as well go now could'nt sell the house to anyone else Dad got 5 Hundred pounds thats what we came with to Australia . There was 4 chilren My sister Christine and me and my younger sister Desireen and the youngest my brother Colin, I have wonderful memories on I went to Bosworth Rd school I think thats what they call it, then Roland Green ,We had lots of fun running around the railway yards making cubby houses, going to the Castle I would spend all day there. and dont forget Goose Fair.and the markets, I loved going to jumbel sales at the old church hall talk about find a bargin.I remember the Gun Factories was down the end on the street not far from the fish and chip shop.We use to have a little shop just a few houses up from where I lived , Sundays was our weekly bath ,we use to go to the public bath house 6pence it was I would go with a couple of friends , we would pay 6pence and then the others would get under the door, mum said you look dirttier now than you did before you went .No phone ,No fridge, No bathroom outside toilet next to the coal shed,but they were the days kids today do not know what fun is all about, we use to go flying our kites where the cricket grounds were ,and somewhere around there was a paddling pool if I remember right,My kids today carn't believe I didn,t have a bathroom and the other things , I remember under the terrace houses were tunnels every where, dad put a new floor in when we went there, they went for miles you could easily get lost.I lived in townsville Queesland Australia,been here 47yrs nearly but the memroies are strong our family name is Clough James and Dot, Dorothy does anybody remember us from there,It would be good to catch up, all the to you all I'm glad I found this site .A wonderful thing these computers are.

Ayup Aussie and welcome aboard. There's a thread dedicated to Bosworth Street School on here:-

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=182&st=0&p=944&hl=boss%20eyed%20kippers&fromsearch=1entry944

And loads of other stuff about the 'Medders' . Use the Search box (Top right) type in sommat, and sit back and enjoy!!

Welcome.

I think you will find some interesting stuff here.

What year did you leave?

I dont think they completed the motorway over Rupert street yet?

Hello Aussie - and welcome to the site.

I lived in Hawthorn Street and remember going down the 'wide entry' to Rupert Street.

I also went to Bosseyed Kippers but I don`t think we would have known each other as we left for Calverton in 1953.

Mr Jackson was the Head when I was there but he may have moved on by your time.