Any body use a dongle??

I bought a wireless dongle for use with my laptop a few months back , I put a tenner credit on it knowing it only lasts a month, I used it up (Nearly) and the rest ran out at the end of April, I went to a shop to buy another tenner credit and they gave me a code to type in to activate the credit, which I am saving till we go away next week. No problem yet!!

Now here's the rub, Tiscali has gone down at the moment , I hang on and hang on , get computer withdrawal symptoms and decide to activate my dongle and use the lap top instead of my PC. I plug in my dongle and it proceeds to automatically connect to the internet with no credit!! I checked how much credit I had and get told none!! yet it's working without me paying for it, now I'm not complaining at getting it for free , but any body know how or why it's happening !!

Sussed it. I haven't found a way to screw the system after all, I just get a bit of free time too , which ran out then wouldn't let me top up afterwards , a £3 phone call to the'3' network soon got me sorted out though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So much for the 50p 'free' air time that I got............Bugger

Sounds rude. LOL

• 1 year later...

Hi

Just a thought... careful if you try to move it back to your other pc as the dongles get licensed to the pc they are on... i tried to swap mine from one machine to the other and couldnt without contacting the network provider... i think they need unlock codes like phones...

• 1 month later...

I've put the old "Dongle" into my new Laptop and works perfectly well , no need to unlock it or anything , as it contains it's own drivers , all it took was a minute or so to install them, then "Robert is your fathers brother !"

• 3 months later...

Hi

Just a thought... careful if you try to move it back to your other pc as the dongles get licensed to the pc they are on... i tried to swap mine from one machine to the other and couldnt without contacting the network provider... i think they need unlock codes like phones...

Dont think dongles are licensed to pc's you can use the dongle with any pc/laptop hence the term moblie internet, you might mean the sim card being locked/licensed to the dongle

Yes I've got the Huawei E585 from 3. It's wireless and I've had two iPads running off it simultaneously.

I've even managed to use on the bus and the train very successfully.

The only two places I've had problems have been on a caravan site on Devon and at parts of Centreparcs in Sherwood Forest.

The fact the credit runs out even if it's unused at the end of the period you've paid for is the only downside.

It's worth thinking about this before buying one that's preloaded with credit.

I've seen them being sold for about £75 with 3Gb of data but you can buy one for under £50 with no data or sometimes with 1Gb.

Unless you are going to be doing lots of youtube video streaming or downloading files there is no way you will use 3Gb in a month.

I have found that normal browsing and emailing only uses 20mb per hour - do the math as they say!

Andrew

I bought mine from our local 'Phones 4 you ' shop , it cost £19 but came with 1 gig (Tenners worth) of credit. I do top it up occationally , but only if I know I'll be away from home more than once in a month.

I still think it's a rip off , but you can now purchase a days credit for (IMMSC ) £2.95p , if that's all you require.

Any left over credit I have now (550megs this time) goes on part downloading a film !! , I then switch the laptop back to the house WiFi to get the rest of it !