Newark 'Ten Bridges Walk'

For those interested in a bit of local civil engineering (and there are many on here who know much more about it than I!) a bit of a story and few pictures of a little walk I did at Newark,'discovering' all the bridges along the way.

==

A pictorial tourist trail*

The following is not intended as a thprough chronicling of this part of Newark civil engineering history but rather as an account by an interested visitor of carrying out the tourist trail outlined by Mr. John Gardner in his leaflet ‘The Bridges of Newark – A Tourist Trail’. The leaflet was formerly distributed by the Newark Tourism department (now out of print since 2004), I’d like to acknowledge the writings of Mr. Gardner and (Mrs. Mary Gardiner’s line drawings) and for the kind assistance of the good folk at the Newark Tourism department in obtaining the walk leaflet for me.

067_thumb.jpg?w=665&h=500

Just recently I visited the Nottinghamshire market town of Newark to take in the annual Newark Beer Festival which was taking part on the Riverside Park under the considerable shadow of the town’s ‘Guardian of the Trent’ the ruined castle. Knowing that the afternoon prior to the evening’s festivities would be free, I contacted the Newark Tourism people and they kindly forwarded details of a short walk I’d remembered from a few years ago which takes in the many bridges along the River Trent which runs to the west of the town.

From Nottingham Midland to Newark Castle Station is a pleasant journey indeed at a touch over half an hour. Alighting mid afternoon on a Friday, my friends and I were soon heading past Burton Joyce in the vicinity of some of the county’s most attractive villages in Hoveringham, Thurgarton and Fiskerton. The familiar small station hailed us off the train in bright sunshine and a offered a warm beginning to the weekend.

The walk begins on a high point with the beautiful old towpath bridge, Longstone Bridge around 300 yards south of the Town Lock. Here the majority of the flow of the river is redirected under the bridge and over a weir, avoiding the lock. Longstone Bridge’s construction is dated at 1819 (or 1827), depending on which report you believe. The present bridge replaced an original timber built bridge and is now quite rightly a Grade 11 listed structure.

070_crop_thumb.jpg?w=682&h=453

Turning back towards the Town Lock, the second bridge is immediately in view. Mill Bridge is a no-frills concrete construction dating back to the 1960s’ and provides access to The British Waterways workshops in place of the original brick bridge. After this point we pass a rare inland dry dock, used for the repairing of river craft and head towards the lock.

read the full 'Ten Bridges of Newark' article here

Hi Stu,

Nice pictures, had a walk alongside the river there myself the week of the beer festival, first time I'd walked over the lock bridge, Newark is full of history if you know where to look, if ever things get a bit boring at home of a weekend we usually nip down the road to Newark for a walk round and more often than not we see something new to us, well worth visiting

Rog

Hi Stu,

Nice pictures, had a walk alongside the river there myself the week of the beer festival, first time I'd walked over the lock bridge, Newark is full of history if you know where to look, if ever things get a bit boring at home of a weekend we usually nip down the road to Newark for a walk round and more often than not we see something new to us, well worth visiting

Rog

I agree Rog. Like most places, Newark has it's good and bad points but I always think there's a bit of fascination there for the history buff in particular. I occasionally take the 30-minute drive over for a nose around. Always liked the Millgate Museum and a pint on The Castle Barge. Love the sausages in that nice deli in the market square too! I reckon the town punches above it's weight for events too considering the beer festival, the old music festival they used to have on the Riverside and various other festivals and outdoor events.

For those interested in local history, there are some talks about the town at the upcoming Lowdham Book Festival beginning in the next few days:

These Uncertaine Tymes, with Stuart Jennings Newark and the Civilian Experience of the Civil Wars, 1640-1660

http://www.lowdhambookfestival.co.uk/Jennings.php

On the Campaign Trail, Georgian Style: Newark politics in the age of Reform, with Richard Gaunt

http://www.lowdhambookfestival.co.uk/Gaunt.php

• 2 years later...

The wife and I went to Newark yesterday and were well impressed by the place. the market was full and attractively laid out also liked the way they have retained a lot of the old and just renovated, lots of little side streets and interesting shops. there was also a large band of morris dancers performing near the market. We saw that there is a Newark festival later in the year and weather permitting we will definately be paying a visit. Nice to see you do not have to go to places like Market Harborough to get that olde worlde feeling.Well done Newark!!