"The description of Sycamore Hall will be found in volume XX for 1916 Thoroton Societys transactions.

Many thanks for your kindness on Sunday"

You do know where the Thoroton Society is Ash?

In the late 60's I went there with a friend who was a member. all I can remember is that it was on the first floor of a shop or cafe between the Bell and the Odeon. It was basically a library.

At risk of repeating myself the Mrs McCracken of the postcard was my maternal grandmother, she along with my mother and grandfather lived in Sycamore Hall when the latter came to work as manager of Murphy's on Alpine Street Old Basford, The Hall being within their grounds, somewhere facing Church St, this would be approx 1920, didn't get many details from her and too late to find out more but she said it was very run down with only portable oil lighting as seen in western films there. There was another family who lived in it, sadly their young son was killed there when some of Murphy barrels rolled over him. Not long after they moved into the now restored Georgian House on Alpine Street where my uncle was born in 1921. Later still they moved in "The Bungalow" of the postcard, actually a sort of corrugated iron "shed" but surprisingly big and spacious that stood virtually opposite Bar Lane, only moving out after the death of my grandad in 1939 all 3 homes were Murphy's owned. I explored (trespassed) said bungalow when derelict and vandalised in I think 1965.

And they still exist with a WEBSITE which provides a lot of useful links and information

And it seems they are still at Bromley House on Angel Row

Thanks for that link Cliff, another few hours will be employed plodding through that one .....Ta !!

(If I can wangle a way in that won't cost me too much !!)

(If I can wangle a way in that won't cost me too much !!)

??, you have to pay to get in?

Me and Denshaw was there a couple of weeks ago, but we never rang the bell to get in