Problems booting my computer

It's happed twice now, i come to switch on my computer and on the screen it say's Boot failed if you have set up disc insert it into your drive now...

The first time it happened it told me that, Setup did not find any hard disk drivers installed in your computer. I played around with it for a while, switching it on and off as you do nearing a state of panic and then for no reason it booted up and ran windows fine. This time i did what it told me to do, to reinstall windows, but it warned me that a folder with windows had been found and if i proceded to install windows again i would lose all my folders in the the previous setup, so i stopped installing, it rebooted itself and windows started up and is running fine at the moment..Has anybody else had the same problem...

Back up your system 'cause if it fails and you cannot reboot you will lose everything. Also make a reboot disc, it should tell you how to do this in the help files you run. Failing that get down on your knees and say a little prayer.

A compusmash

Found this for you BIP, it may help you at some point:

To create an MS-DOS startup disk

The MS-DOS startup disk you create will allow you to boot into MS-DOS.

Insert a floppy disk into your computer's floppy drive.

Open My Computer, and then click the floppy disk drive to select it.

On the File menu, point to the name of the floppy drive, and then click Format.

Under Format options, click Create an MS-DOS startup disk.

Click Start.

Important

Creating an MS-DOS startup disk erases all information on the floppy disk.

Notes

To open My Computer, click Start, and then click My Computer.

The MS-DOS startup disk only allows the system to boot into an MS-DOS prompt. The disk contains no additional tools.

When you get to this stage you can fire up windows by just typing in the first three letters, ie. win

It may help at some stage.

Best of luck,

A compusmash

Sounds like a re format is on the cards Den!! Cures all your problems in one foul swoop, or should that be fowl swoop, Oh well, you gets the piccie.

#1 Rule always back your files up after each session.

#2 Rule, back up all your files.

#3 Rule, back up all yer friggin files before you lose the friggin fings!

!rulez!

Doesn't matter which windows system you are running, 'win' will start it.

Sounds like a re format is on the cards Den!! Cures all your problems in one foul swoop, or should that be fowl swoop, Oh well, you gets the piccie

I think it should be 'fell swoop' but I could never understand why. If himself was still here he would let me know in no uncertain terms. Good advice just the same.

Best of luck BIP, something tells me you are going to need it. Good housekeeping is essential on pc's as well as at home. (Hark at 'er.)

A compusmash

Putting my computer back to an earlier restore point seems to have cured it thanks Mick for the suggestion. I have also backed up all my Picture files, took 20 mins to do, at least if i do loose everything now i've got them on a w-r-disk.

I have a systems restore disk which came with the computer which has windows xp on it as well, is that the same as a MS-DOS start disk tuts ? Thanks for that suggestion also.. lips0

I think that is something different, but still good to have. I think the more belts and braces you have, the better.

Glad you have backed everything up and you won't lose too much if you crash.

Best of luck.

A compusmash

• 3 weeks later...

;) Apparently every so often through vibration inside the tower, one of the conections to me hard drive comes slightly loose. The outcome of this is when i try to boot up there is a beeping noise from me tower and my screen informs me that pri master disk : none. Others words no hard drive could be found..Simple yes..? B) !jumping! cool2

lips0 Tutanic Posted on Nov 3 2005, 04:02 PM

Could you not stand it on something like a rubber pad to absorb some of this vibration? Failing that, sit on it...

;) Thanks for the suggestion tuts but at the moment it's standing on a pile of used beer mats... !cheers!

Tutanic Posted on Nov 4 2005, 06:02 PM

I hope they are not used and damp ones. I still think you would have more fun if you sat on it...

Mybe i would do tuts but i think i would fall off after a short time and not get any benifit from the experiance... ;)

hellothere The aroma i get from the damp beer mats is something else, reminds me that they haven't called last orders yet. laughing