Tracing my Old BSA M20 Motorcycle

Is there anyone out there who can help me with the history of my old Motorcycle. It is a BSA ex military dispatch riders WM20 500cc registered in Nottinghamshire in late 1961 as 498NAU. I would love to find out some archive material, or photos, perhaps who owned it back then. Maybe they are still around, its only 40 years ago. Any help much appreciated

• Upvote 1

Dawson's Motorcycles who used to be on Shakespeare Street bought ex MOD M20s by the score from the Ruddington Depot's Auctions. They would spray them green, register them and sell them nationwide.

Your bike has a 1961 Nottingham registration and would be one of hundreds that Dawsons sold. Your bike could have been 10 or 20 years old when registered, but they are super reliable, spares are easy to get, and it's rumoured they will run on parafin. Please don't try it.

Wow, thats great news and information. I was hoping that I may have thrown up the Dawsons name! I dont suppose they still exist, or maybe someone has the records for the bikes they sold? I am having trouble getting the DVLA to give me back the original registration, so need to find some proof. Dawsons, did they get taken over or become some other company? thanks very much

I remember the auctions at Ruddington MOD.I always fancied buying a fire engine.

It was in the 70s and they sold some very nice Morris 100's. You could have any colour as long as it was green.

I'm afraid Dawsons closed about 40 years ago.

I once heard of a chap who bought an army lorry from Rudd for a song, and found he had also bought it's contents. It was full of tool boxes which were full of brand new tools.

BTW does anyone remember Padley's Motor Auctions?

That's a bit of an 'urban myth' Old Ace. I heard it from "The horses mouth" claiming he thought he was bidding on one "Old dispatch riders motor bike " and was successfull with his bidding . He went to pay for it to discover he'd actually got 20 !!

Of course I swallowed it hook line and sinker (Being an impressionable 16 year old at the time) I later discovered this bloke was also Field Marshall Montgomerys driver during the war despite the fact that he was only about 20 years older than me (Being born in around 1941) And he was also a Wellington Pilot !! (Work that one out !!!)

I would suggest that your best chance of finding your bike lies a few miles down the road from Nottingham, with the Vintage Motor Cycle Club in Burton-on-Trent. They have a machine register which might help. The Notts and Derby section, old friends of mine, meet at the Royal Oak in Ockbrook first and third Thursdays at 8pm. If you happen to pop along do say hello to them from me. The pub itself is well worth a visit, a traditional family-run house which serves excellent Bass.

VMCC's website is www.vmcc.net/

There's also a branch of the BSA Owners Club in the district, they used to meet at Aston-on-Trent but I'm not sure if that's still the case.

IN 1969 I WORKED FOR A TIME AT THE GARAGE IN BUNNY THEN A V.I. P. GARAGE THE GARAGE IS STILL THERE BUT I THINK ITS A TOTAL NOW.

ONE LATE AFTERNOON A GUY CAME IN AND ASKED IF IT WAS OK TO BRING A COUPLE OF LORRIES IN TO FILL UP AND HE WOULD PAY THE BILL ALTOGETHER ALONG WITH HIS OWN JAG AT THE END GOT PERMISION FROM THE BOSS HE SAID OK IMAGIEN OUR SURPRIZE WHEN UP TURNED 20 ARMY LORRIES FROM THE AUCTIONS. NO SELF SERVICE IN THEM DAYS AND WE ONLY HAD 2 PUMPS SO THE MANAGER ROLLS UP HIS SLEEVES AND DID ONE PUMP WHILE I DID THE OTHER . 20 LORRIS AND A JAG TO FILL IT TOOK ABOUT AN HOUR TO GET THEM ALL IN AN OUT ON THE RD AGAIN THE GUY SETTLED UP HIS BILL WITH ME AND GAVE ME A TWENTY POUND TIP. WHEN THE BOSS WAS NOT LOOKING NEARLY TWO WEEKS WAGES THEN FOR ME. THIS WHENT ON FOR ABOUT SIX WEEKS UNTILL THE AUCTIONS HAD ENDED. NEVER DID FIND OUT WHAT ALL THE LORRIES WERE FOR. BUT HE MUST HAVE SPENT A FORTUNE ON THE LORRIES AND OF CAURSE THE DIESEL TO FILL THEM I THINK IT WAS ABOUT 2 SHILLINGS AND6 PENCE PER GALLON AND 20 GALLON TANKS ONTHE LORRIESTIMES 20 . YOU WORK IT OUT CARNT BE BOTHERED TONIGHT. ALL I KNOW ISI LIVED WELL FOR THOSE FEW WEEKS. LIVED IN A FLAT ON BRIDGEFORD RD WESTBRIDGEFORD AT THE TIME AND MONEY WAS TIGHT SO IT CERTAINLY HELPED ME.

DONT THINK BSA CLUB MEET THERE ANYMORE BUT WILL ASK MY MATE WHO IS A MEMBER AND LET YOU KNOW WERE THEY MEET NOW