Laying Slabs?

Advice wanted re laying slabs on pebbles, never done anything thus before but am wanting to lay about 10 2x2 slabs on approx 4" deep pebbles (2 x 4 lines for parking on) any advice welcome, do I need to "blind" such with sand etc? or sand and cement mix? and if the latter dry or wet? and what sort of amount would I need if I do?

and if anyone wants to earn a few £££'s doing the actual humping of slabs (have such feet away) into place I'll raid my piggy bank!

I don't know much on the subject but you will definately need to sink a good load of sand into the gravel to bind them and another load on top to cushion the load. No idea what ammount though.

Never heard of Gravel being used below sand especially where a vehicle will be driven over it?

I would have though Hard core well tamped down and levelled off a below the desired slab level.

Then 5 good dobs of morter placed under each slab and the slab knocked down to level.

Working to a string line?

Not that I know owt about this kind of thing?

My brick drive is layed on a bed of gravel reinforced with sand to stop them shifting (It's to do with dicplacement)

And I'm pretty sure that Ashley means the gravel is already down and he's just coveing them wth slabs..

Yes you're right Beefsteak, they are actually as per beach pebbles about half an inch diameter, quite popular here as alternative to grass, I did take up 2 wheelie bins full a few years ago to make a veggie plot, hell of a weight, virtually impossible to wheel, however didn't leave out for bin men! some one wanted them. I was thinking of a mix of sand and cement stirred in with then which will go hard with damp should do? at least better (I hope) than sinking in to axles!