Need advice on this...

Im hoping someone can help.. Im allways asking for help on here arent i!

Meant to have an extractor fan put in my bathroom via council, what theyv done is.. sent a builder out to core drill a massive hole in my wall then leave without telling me when it was going to have the fan put in, weather id get a phone call.. nothing. just said 'all done love, iv hoovered the mess for yah.. ta ra!' Now im left with a 6inch wide hole on my bathroom wall above my bath, i can even see strait into next doors garden.. im currently waiting for a bird to wander on in to say hi! this was on tuesday, I have rang on wednesday to see what the hell is being done to be told that their not putting a fan in untill the 17th of feb!!! Upstairs is FREEZING, the bathroom is like ICE, they told me to fill it with paper, iv done that, its stopped the draft but not stopped it from being so cold. Im scared to even bath baby in there as she gets bathed in our bath now as theres still abit of a draft & its so bloody cold, im having to use her baby bath downstairs - i shouldnt have to do this! I rang again today to see if it can be done ASAP cos its stupid hwo they drilled it out 3 weeks before doing anything to it.. they told me even if they were to get a subbie out to do it, id still be looking at next monday at the least because their 'so busy' with 'more important work'

Do i have any rights? can i ring enviromental health to deal with it? i need it sorted soon, its not fair for all of us to be so cold because of it & having to have the heating on twice as high, wasting money etc..

....Or am i just being stupid and getting annoyed over nothing??

the upstairs is alot colder, i stuffed it with paper but was told not to put card over it, although tonight iv slaped up some paper over it. Its alot colder, because 1 obviously now theres a huge hole in our bathroom wall & 2 unfortunately its a genrally cold house :( boo!

If you are in rented housing,call them up and tell them you are withholding payment of rent,and that said rent will held by a solicitor,untill work is completed to your satisfaction and you want compensation for inconvinience. Nothing ventured,nothing gained.

Buy a tube of Silicone sealant and gun from the £1 store.

Find a sheet of polystyrene, and glue it across the hole.

A piece of wood cut to size would be as good.

Whats left can be used for filling any small gaps in your house.

In old houses you can always find holes.

And I agree, the landlord is responsible.

Meaning booooo :( not Boo - ARGH YOU SCARED ME! lol :)

..Unfortunately, my house is council so im not sure if i can say that ill witheld my rent payment because its not a landlord as such. i just think its stupid that theyv done that n decided to just leave it for 3 weeks.. the builder didnt even suggest that i fill it or anything. it doesnt bother me that iv had to cover it but its the fact theyv just left it there & they dont see what the problem is! grrr. & iv already had to do that Mick, When i moved in.. there was a hole in our dinning room wall, that used to have a vent over it im guessing, the council said it wasnt their job to fill it! They also refuse to provide me with any smoke alarms as there isnt any in the house, nore was there when i moved in, so this weekend im going to buy some, iv given up asking now even though it says in my tenancy agreement that a property has to be rented WITH at least two smoke alarms by law... Im only just getting someone out about that problem with mold i had in one of the bedrooms, i reported it 3ish months ago. Stupid isnt it!?

THREATEN TO GO TO THE PAPERS IF THEY DO NOT SORT EVERY THING IN 10 DAYSPLUS POINT OUT YOUR TENANCY AGREEMENT BY SENDING THEM A COPY HIGHLIGHTING THE POINT WERE IT SAYS THERE SHOULD BE SMOKE ALARMS FITTED.

Your'e a Nottingham gal.it don't matter who your landlord is,you have legal rights as a renter.Get your lease or rental agreement,read it through,then highlight the parts that apply to,'repairing & making good',by the landlord /owner of the rented property.Monday morning go to their office with your papers,and politely,but firmly stick it up their---------- some things you can't do over the phone,they can give you the brush off to easy.

Some of the older folks will remember the early 60s,when renters had no rights,and 'Slumlords' in every city,including Nottingham. So go get 'em,make me proud to know the young un's have still got that Nottingham spirit.

• 2 weeks later...