Nigel Doughty Dead

I'm no authority on Nottingham Forest but I'd like to say a few words about this man.

He seemed a good man as well as a true lifelong Nottingham Forest fan. Perhaps latterly some of his decision making was questionable but he did an awful lot for Forest and didn't deserve to be spoken about the way he was by some. I was much in admiration of the man as a hands-on owner with his heart definitely in the right place. Also a man who was a great supporter of charities

We know that football supporters can be fickle, I think many more appreciated him than didn't but when you look at some of the abuse he got, particularly towards the end when I feel he was hounded out of the Forest stewardship a little, you wonder why on earth anyone would bother.

Nigel Doughty didn't get every decision right for Forest. I believe for instance that he bitterly regretted the parting of the ways of Billy Davies and the club. He was served badly by several managerial appointments (not Davies) in my humble opinion. A lot of his money was squandered on mediocre players, particularly by useless David Platt, leading to the forming of the 'transfer acquisition panel' headed by another useless David (Pleat). The TAP to me seemed unwieldy, dysfunctional and crucially, headed by an idiot. Maybe I'm wrong but as an outsider that's the view I got.

There appeared a lot more to Nigel Doughty than being the Chairman of a football club. He was a philanthropist, a decent and kind family man and a man of the people, in spite of his vast wealth. He took over Nottingham Forest because he was a lifetime fan and loved the club.

There might well be one or two Forest supporters, not the majority I hasten to add, having a little look at themselves today - and where their club goes from here. The point about what happens regarding the cool 100 million he loaned to the club

might be the first question on a few people's lips.

Thoughts go to his family.

Rest in Peace Nigel.

• Upvote 1