Got a 'fun-guy' living in the garden!

miot9z.jpgnwej47.jpg

Does anyone know what the fungi in the picture above is? Is it poisenious to animals or humans? & how can i get rid?

..i scraped it all off the base of the tree stumps when i first moved in, now its back a year later.

Also, Im turfing the garden at the end of this month. Anyone know what i can do with these ugly beasts of tree-stumps?

There right at the front of my 'lawn' next to my garden path.. wich my neighbors have to walk through to take their bin out.

So its not like their in a far corner were i can 'hide' them...

Good, cos I had no intentions of eating it lol. Just worried incase mine or a neighbours cats have a nibble! :( If it isn't poisenious, I'd prob leave it be

I think it's a common fungi. Cats are intelligent creatures I'm sure they'd know by instinct if the fungi was poisonous. As for the tree stumps, they do look a bit unsightly, I'll have a think plus also ask around about what to do with them.

Thankyou, i tried to do some research on it to try n see how i can get rid of it and try and stop it coming back. These are Silver birch stumps - cut down before i moved in, iv seen that their a protected tree & cant be cut down without permission? & apperently theres a certain fungi that grows on silver birch tree's not sure if this is it though or just a common fungi. ANy thoughts about the stumps & what i can do with them to make them abit less ugly? id love to dig them up, but iv been told itll be a huge job, difficalt & would cost alot if i got someone in to do it for me. Im a council tenant & have been told that they wont remove them

Ones alot lower than the other, and slanting to one side because thats what i was going to do originally :(

Exactly Mick! Ill be falling onto the floor with the gnomes. Im thinking about getting a saw to the one on the right, cutting it level.. & growing ivy/sweet peas over it & plonking a garden ornament on one of them.. I have no idea what else i can do with them!

Poohbear, THANKYOU!! i love that idea, i can get ivy or somesort of climbing plant to grow around it and then do as you suggested!

Don't forget with ivy...If you have a neighbour who doesn't mind losing a bit...just cut off some foot lengths and leave in a bottle of water...roots will appear in about 3 weeks....for free.

I dont think my neighbour has any ivy, but my mums got some she's told me to take cos she hates it, bargain! Already got a drill mick, might have some of the flat bits too in the shed, i shall have a look. Got a pic of my 'lawn' couple of days ago, i have since removed the bricks and rummal.. The question is - do i go ahead and turf it for a quick fix or shall i dig the small patches over & lay some grass seed? iv been told that if i buy a really good seed, it should grow in about 4-6 weeks, im not sure how true this is as the council flattened my garden around 3 months ago and layed some seed at the bottom of the garden, thats growing kinda nicely.. but its not 'full' yet as it still seems abit muddy - do they just use a cheaper type of seed? im not sure if you can see the bottom of the garden in the pic were the grass is growing, but its there lol. i hope someone can help anyways!

564403_3173062718572_1025658650_32486442_1719049625_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Had a look on the net for you about fungi that grow on silver birches and it came up with this Piptopourous Betulinus grow on dead silver birches it helps break them down, and there is also another one called the Fly Agric- Aminata Muscaria

didnt get a pitcure of it but i hope it helps

Thanks Carltongal, i will have a look into them later one. I scraped them off the stumps when i first moved in in fear that my dumb a*se cats would have a nibble.. It grew back within a few months, now the fungi is quite large.. & yep, iv cought one of my cats trying to have a bite!! He's been fine since but fingers crossed it isnt harmful to cats

Some amanitas are edible, some halocegenic, some poisonous.But the most common use in the old days for those found growing on silver birch was as a strop to sharpen razors.

Well i never knew that, ya really do learn summin new every day dont ya!! Now i want to go and see if i can sharpen a blade with them...

• 1 month later...

Hard to be sure from your picture but it looks like it could be this:

scan0008.jpg?gl=GB

Hi Pixie, asking around it would seem the best thing to do with the stumps is just to leave them to nature and they will rot down eventually.

Hi Pixie, asking around it would seem the best thing to do with the stumps is just to leave them to nature and they will rot down eventually.

That's exactly what the fungi are doing.

The razor strop fungus is more rounded and bloated looking than the ones in the picture. See this page for a guide to Piptoporus:

Piptoporus betulinus Birch Polypore identification guide

Pixie's look more wavy and multi-ringed as per my picture in a previous post.