Close encounters of the bird kind

A number of recent posts about bird encounters prompted me to recall a close encounter about four years ago on Scaraben in Caithness. SWMBO and I had scaled the mountain's three peaks and had returned to the centre peak with its walled cairn to shelter from the wind whilst we ate our lunch (Dinner). I was standing at the edge of the broad ridge looking into the glen to the south when a large bird began to rise, gracefully, up the slope of the mountainside. It soared up and over my head missing me by a couple of feet and then soared away along the ridge and up into the next glen with hardly a wingbeat. It was a Golden Eagle. Alas, no time to get my camera out of my rucksack for a photo.

When living in Ethiopia we had a large garden with tropical plants and trees. In the centre was a lawned area on which mongooses used to frolic in the evenings; they lived under our house. One day there was a commotion outside and when I looked through the window there was a Bateleur Eagle on the grass with a chestnut breasted dove in its talons. As I watched it ate the dove and then, with some difficulty, took off and away.

The spring migration is beginning up here, the first Wheatear has arrived, Skylarks are singing and Meadow Pipits are displaying.

Although yesterday we awoke to a couple of inches of the white stuff, spring is definitely here. The Ravens are already nesting and most of the winter visitors have gone. Just a few Goldeneye and Long Tailed Ducks left and some Long eared Owls and Iceland Gulls are still here. There were large numbers of both this winter.

Golden Eagles are rare here Compo, Merlin is the commonest raptor, and of course there is the Great Skua, they kill anything that moves in the bird world. They hunt singly or in flocks, I've seen them kill Gannets, they force them down to sea level and if they don't disgorge, they drown them by keeping them underwater.

A Gannet is too big for a Skua to carry, so they tear then open on the sea and just eat their liver. The Black Backs and Herring Gulls get the rest.

I would imagine you get Great Skuas (Bonxies) on migration in Caithness, they might even breed on the moors down there.

A few years ago there was an American Coot turned up here, a very rare bird, many birders came up to 'twitch' it. It spent the winter here and left. Next winter it came back, and the winter following, only this last time it didn't leave on time, it stayed too long and was here when the Bonxies returned. Sadly it became a Bonxies breakfast.

Plenty of Bonxies on Orkney, where I lived for a couple of years. Here they are confined to the North coastal heather cliffs. I've been attacked by them myself; persistent little sods they are too.

On holiday in Barbados in '89 we often saw Humming birds, close up, but never when I had my camera handy ! Every time I saw one (With camera in hand) it'd 'flick me a vee' and whizz off before a picture could be taken !! (I still call them "Little Gits" to this day)

Ms Jackson mi duk: the eagle darned near took my head off!

Beefsteak: Same thing happened to me in Trinidad. The humming birds never stood still except when the camera was not ready.

However, I did see a large flock of Scarlet Ibis over from Venezuela for their evening roost in the Caroni Swamp. Also saw a tree Boa, Tree Crabs, Sloth, mud Skippers and caught some Puffer fish in the Mangroves. I wonder if I still have those photos?

I went out with a bird from Mansfield once, Kate Stainforth her name - nice girl; family had a caravan at Chapel.

I went out with a bird from Mansfield once, Kate Stainforth her name - nice girl; family had a caravan at Chapel.

A church yard, strange place for a caravan . !!............ slywink

• 2 weeks later...

Cost me a camera that did it was making funny noises & had some nasty looking teeth

Just as i was about to take a pic it took a lunge at me & i dropped the camera now if you look at the pic it has a shadow just right of center

Its on all photos & there's nothing visable on the lens

Guess thats the end of that one

Reminds me of the time I was at Lake Langano in the Great Rift Valley, staying with a friend who worked for the Diplomatic Corps. He had access to a holiday bungalow on the west shore of the lake and we stayed over one monsoon weekend. After the deluge I found a distressed bat skulking and shivering under a fallen tree. I picked it up and carried it up the hill towards the caves where they lived. The local folk were shouting at me in their local language, which I didn't understand so I ignored them. On my way up I passed an Eagle Owl sitting on a tree stump, but I digress, I placed the bat carefully in the cave and went back down to the shoreline and the bungalow. "What on Earth did you do that for?" enquired my pal, "It was going to die out there." I replied. "You dozy beggar, " he said " This area is rife with rabid bats, one bite and you could've been a goner!"