Lowdham Book Festival 2012

It's the main event Saturday coming up this week. The festival has a different look on it's final Saturday this year with (sadly) no marquees behind the Village Hall which really make the event for me. I'm not sure why this is but apparently it's supposed to be for this year only.

Also, in a break with tradition, the final Saturday events are most charged, as opposed to the free day's entertainment staged in the past. Nevertheless, there are some interesting talks at a reasonable charge - especially for those that like to get out and about walking.

Full timetable

Like the look of these talks:

This one looks of particular interest to Nottstalgia-dwellers:

I would have loved to be in the Lowdham area for the whole month of June, I'd go to everything! Especially June 12, An Evening with Peter James, my fave author.

IMG_8163.jpg

• Upvote 1

Been to so many interesting, entertaining and informative events there Kath. It used to be largely over the space of eight days but these days, as you say, it's elongated over the whole month of June.

It's also beginning to stretch a slightly wider area these days with not only nearby venue Saint Mary's Church at Lowdham Grange but also Caythorpe and Woodborough, not to mention Nottingham and trips outwith the county.

I wish, but then you can always wish! The picture was taken at Peter's home. I went on his website last winter and asked if he was signing any books in the Sussex area, as I was coming over for Christmas and wanted to get his new book. He replied that no, he wasn't, but here's my phone number, call me when you get here and we'll sort something out. I did that, and he gave me instructions on how to get to his house, and I went along and got my books signed and the picture. What a lovely man.

• Upvote 1

Went to Lowdham on Saturday for the final day of the book festival and sat in four talks on various themes:

Tourist Trails in and Around Nottinghamshire

The Robin Hood Way

Beyond the Ice - Creswell Crags

Made in Nottingham

All had their own particular interest but the last two in particular were superb. An absolutely fascinating, informative and entertaining look at the extremely significant archaeological finds detailed by Matt Beresford saw the hour pass very quickly.

The final talk, by former Nottingham native, Peter Mortimer illustrated his recent book about returning to Sherwood Estate which he left some 48 years ago, his feelings and thoughts on seeing and experiencing the places of his youth. Eschewing nostalgia 'I was always frightened that looking back might stop me looking forward' to paraphrase, his was a funny and individualistic resume of how it felt to go back to the world he left all those years ago. Peter apparently lived in the aforementioned estate and latterly in the 'big posh house' he and his parents moved to at Redhill before wending his way in the world. He played for many local amateur football teams as well as Arnold St. Mary's as a semi-pro, worked in a false teeth factory and sold ladies underwear for a living!

I'm reading this book now and it looks very promising - a real page-turner.

http://www.lowdhambo...nNottingham.php