Avro Vulcan prototype

Ayup Beefsteak,

Sorry could'nt get any pics of the Vulcan today but will try later in the week, It flew over our site at 16.15hrs and headed towards Horncastle and Louth at approx 3000ft in a big arc, it returned from what looked like the Boston area and landed without any fuss at 16.45hrs. Just as a point of interest for you and any other enthusiasts, the site I am working at housed the Dambusters (617)sqdr after the dams raids, they flew the tallboy and grandslam bombs out of the site to bomb the U boat pens, the Beilefeld viaduct and a the Saumer (sp) tunnel, it was also the base that Guy Gibson made his last flight from in a Mosquito before being shot down over Holland, pm me if you want any more info and I will see what I can find out

Rog

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"..there's often an unannounced Spitfire fly around over our place here in Ilkeston during the summertime, always a splendid sight to see.." A Spitfire that quite often turns up locally - usually mid

Posted Images

Rog,

Hadn't realised that 617 Squadron left Scampton after the Dambuster raids, or that Guy Gibson died in a Mosquito...

Were you able to see if the Barnes=Wallis bouncing bomb still inhabits the Petwood Hotel car park?

Cheers

Robt P.

` but also sonic booms from aircraft breaking the sound barrier`.

Although slightly off the subject,the famous lady pilot Diana Barnato Walker flew to heaven this week.

Relevance?

One evening in 1963 in the mess at RAF Middleton St George, the Wing Commander Flying, John Severgne, idly suggested that Diana might like to fly one of the RAF’s new supersonic Lightnings. She jumped at the chance and on August 26 1963, following clearance from the Ministry of Defence, she took off and reached a speed of Mach 1.65 (1,262 mph), making her the first British woman to break the sound barrier.

Ayup Rob,

Went up to the Petwood which is a little way off the main road, I was in the company Toyota pickup which is a bit crapped up as you can imagine coming off a quarry so felt embarrassed going up the drive but will go up when i'm in the car, Beefsteak, have just watched the Vulcan take off at 12.15hrs from my office window, all very sedate with no fuss so a bit dissapointing but nice to see anyway, at the moment there are three Typhoons flying around and the sky is crystal clear, I wish you both could be here to enjoy the sights and sounds

Rog

Must admit to being a bit jealous Rog but as I have said elsewhere , I would get the sack after a day for staring at the planes all the time

...have just watched the Vulcan take off at 12.15hrs from my office window, all very sedate with no fuss so a bit dissapointing but nice to see anyway...

Which would tend to put S/L Dave Thomas in the Captain's seat.

Flight instructor in his day job, which means he is rather 'by the book'.

Cheers

Robt P.

Ayup Rob,

Know what you mean but it would have been nice to feel the ground shake as those engines were given their head.

By the way just as I had entered my last post on this site from work about lunchtime we were treated to a bit of a flying display from a ME 109, trouble was it sounded like it was fitted with a Merlin engine, nice to see it put through it's paces though. I will try to find some info about the 617 sqdn and Woodhall Spa from the local shops in the next few days and try to get it to you and Beefsteak

Rog

• 2 weeks later...

I was planning a family trip to Raf Cosford air display (Sunday 1st June anyone interested?) when I found a great link to another view of the Vulcans test flight

http://www.cosfordairshow.co.uk/Multimedia.htm

It's a big 'un so it takes a bit of downloading but it's worth it , for fellow anoraks out there

• 2 weeks later...

Was told today the Vulcan has got to do a full display before it can get it's display license? apparently the only place it can carry this out is at Coningsby so I will keep my eyes open and ear plugs at the ready for that,

here's hoping it's true

Rog

You'll need the ear plugs if she does her full scramble mode!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Don't forget the camera!)

Ayup Denshaw

Not been in the Blue bell yet but I will, did you see Thorpe camp just around the corner from the pub? and about 1/2 mile further on towards Woodhall on the right is the site of RAF Woodhall where I am currently working.

reason not been in the pub yet is, I don't drink but I will look for some excuse, by the way the bouncing bomb mentioned earlier, there is still a part of one outside the Petwood hotel in Woodhall spa

Beefsteak, the camera is always with me now.

Cheers

Rog

This one ??

(Photo courtesy of Rog ,,Plantfit)

lightening.jpg

Not bad for my 5000th post (Shall we give them the Hawk Rog???)

Hi Beefsteak,

The hawk would be nice, the lightening in the picture is based at Coningsby, No 11 squadron. I will send the Thorpe camp one to you along with the other gate guard at Thorpe,,, A Bloodhound missile

Rog

I spent about an hour trying to put those pictures you sent me into photobucket Rog, but to no avail. I have to pop out now but will try again in a bit.

Here we go (I have know idea why they wouldn't download last night)

I just love this picture of a Hawk (Put a prop on the front and it could be a Spitfire ......LOL)

ConingsbyHawks.jpg

Here's the gate gaurds from Thorpe Camp 1 Blood hound missile

ThorpecampTattershal5.jpg

2 Lightning

ThorpeLightning.jpg

The Waddington gate keeper

WaddingtonVulcan2.jpg

and the piece de resistance

The new (Top secret ) Sentinal

WaddingtonSentinal.jpg

All photos courtesy of Rog (Plantfit)

Rog,

or that Guy Gibson died in a Mosquito...

Cheers

Robt P.

Just been doing a little bit of research on Gibson and found out the poor bu99er wasn't even shot down but simply 'ran out of fuel'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Gibson

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Sad news about the Vulcan, she didn't fly today 6th July and the last day of Waddington airshow, some problem with the No 3 engine generator or something, terrible shame for all the people at the show today that they didn't get the chance to see her fly, also a shame for the Vulcan society who were using this airshow to promote the Vulcan and get future sponsorship to help keep her flying,(1.7million pounds for next year alone) I hope that future sponsors realise this is just a small hicup and will still lend their support to this wonderful aircraft

Rog

bu99er, thats next weekend scr**ed then, thanks for the info Rog

Hi Beefsteak,

Don't give up that easy, just been listening to "Airshow Radio" 106.3 FM They interviewed the Vulcan crew and they said it is just a small switch box that operates the No3 engine generator, they have a spare but not with them, and if the Vulcan had been in RAF service she would have flown without it to no ill effect, but, the Health and Safety thats in place just wouldn't allow anything thats less than 100% which is fair enough. anyway they have the correct spare part so there's no reason why you won't see her fly next week

Rog

Just been doing a little bit of research on Gibson and found out the poor bu99er wasn't even shot down but simply 'ran out of fuel'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Gibson

My uncle was a bomber pilot - flew Wellingtons. He was shot down and kept going while his crew bailed out and he flew clear of a dutch village, then he jumped too - The Gremans, according to his cre, were not best pleased and used him for target practice as he hung from his 'chute. I have an old 78rpm, made by the BBC, of him talking about life as a pilot - very quiet and matter-of-fact about some incredibly brave stuff that he did. It always makes me think of the phrase 'not worthy to lick his boots'.

And now here we are, uled by the Germans and the French out of Brussels and our judges telling us we have to take up Sharia law, to be 'fair' to muslims............while at the same time they are letting all the prisoners out of jail!

Sorry, rant over.