Avro Vulcan prototype

Ayup Denshaw,

I have been checking back through this thread and you asked if I had been in the Blue Bell at Tattershall Thorpe, I have the pleasure of letting you know I have now, and what an experience, you must try and get there when it's open, apart from a very friendly welcome and very tasty food ( Lincolnshire ham and eggs with chips and garden peas) the history thats tied up in the place is out of this world, to sit in the same place as boyhood heroes is beyond words for me

Rog

(Beefsteak has some pictures of the place)

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"..there's often an unannounced Spitfire fly around over our place here in Ilkeston during the summertime, always a splendid sight to see.." A Spitfire that quite often turns up locally - usually mid

Posted Images

Ayup Beefsteak,

Them pictures bring back some great memories, By the way did you know XH 558 is coming back to Coningsby this Thursday 7th Aug, I won't be in the area so I hope it stay's overnight so that I can see it on Friday

Rog.

ps: I thought you would have posted that picture with you and the Vulcan on this thread

• 3 weeks later...

Re aircraft noise from Hucknall, could certainly be heard in New Basford, North Gate area, That Vulcan that crashed at Syerston flew over our house sometimes twice a day, around same time there was also a FIVE engined Lancastrian (civil version of Lancaster, which we all thought in was) with extra engine on test in nose and a twin engined turbo jet (type on tip of my tongue but can't recall) that regularly flew over, I had an old valve radio in my bedroom and could pick up morse on short wave inc a repeated over and over HU which I assume some beacon signal?

...around same time there was also a FIVE engined Lancastrian (civil version of Lancaster, which we all thought in was) with extra engine on test in nose and a twin engined turbo jet (type on tip of my tongue but can't recall) that regularly flew over...

Which also came to grief, actually at Hucknall...

http://www.testflyingmemorial.com/1946-70.htm

Scroll down to 29 March,1955

Cheers

Robt P.

• 4 weeks later...

Ayup all,

Just heard from a reliable source that she might not fly next year because of "Lack of Money"

Has anyone heard the same?

Rog

Rog...sponsorship issue, yet again...see below.

Message from the Chief Executive, VTST,

9th September 2008

"...In contrast to the stunning successes of XH558’s airshow appearances in July, August was a month of disappointments.

We suffered three unrelated technical problems – a brake pipe failure, fuse failures during start-up and the failure of a gear door retraction jack attachment bracket – which caused XH558 to miss five airshows over three weekends: Cowes, Sywell, Dunsfold, Bournemouth and Shoreham. This was obviously hugely disappointing for expectant audiences and airshow organizers, for which we can only apologise.

The work at RAF Brize Norton to fix the gear door problem was extended by the need to source a refurbished retraction jack, because the old one was found to have been damaged by the failure. Given our inability to afford a series of shake-down flights, these problems should rightly be put down to the teething troubles to be expected in the first few months of operation of a complex restored aircraft, whose last flight was fifteen years ago.

We are hugely indebted to Group Captain Ager, the Station Commander at RAF Brize Norton, and his staff for their support, enthusiasm and hospitality during our stay. I would also like to congratulate publicly the combined VTST and MA engineering team, and in particular “Taff” Stone, our Crew Chief, for contributions above and beyond the call of duty, in working to ensure that XH558 is serviceable when needed.

The Vulcan’s enforced absence from these five airshows did however lose VTST over £50,000 in appearance fees and merchandise profits, as well as being costly as regards the extra technical support required, thus hitting us hard financially at a time when we can ill afford it. In addition, big opportunities have been lost to attract new supporters with their donations and subscriptions.

September started with better news, with XH558 displaying for RAF Wyton’s 90th Anniversary and Sunset Ceremony, and at the Duxford and Southport Airshows. XH558’s reception at Southport was particularly ecstatic! Sadly, XH558 was unable to make the Sunday at Duxford, due to the weather en route.

(As many of you will know, XH558 now operates under civil regulations, and is limited to “Visual Meteorological Conditions”, which effectively mean a minimum cloudbase of 2,000 feet, and minimum visibility of 5km (3miles)).

As mentioned in previous messages, to deliver on our promise of flying for about fifty hours per year and providing a range of educational activities, we need to continue to raise about £1.6million per year gross, averaging out at £135,000 per month.

Given the resurgence in Cold War themes internationally, it has never been a more important time to remind everyone of the strong lines that must be held during such periods of tension. We believe that XH558 has an important role in telling this story.

In educating people about the history of the original Cold War, we can contribute to understanding, and helping avoid the same mistakes and misconceptions being made again.

We have been trying to convert our success in attracting huge audiences at airshows into the funding needed to keep XH558 flying by securing commercial sponsorship. This has been the focus of significant efforts, but, as other charities are finding, the economic conditions for marketing and sponsorship are currently the worst they could be.

We understand that the reticence of potential sponsors may also be based on three ill-founded concerns: perception of risk of accident (effectively negligible), a carbon footprint (we will be carbon neutral), and military connotations (something of which we all should be proud).

Despite the acclaimed success of the Vulcan at airshows this summer, sadly I have to let you know that, by a significant margin, insufficient sponsorship funding has been found to secure the aircraft’s future.

Our appeal to supporters for monthly donations has continued to provide a source of some optimism, with the total now amounting to over £10,000 per month. This regular monthly income is really important, because if it continues to grow, it could provide the basis for a happier future for XH558 in today’s difficult economic conditions.

If you haven’t already, please start a monthly standing order – even £2 per month with Gift Aid amounts to £30 per year.

I’m also delighted to report that the Vulcan to the Sky Club can now boast of over 6,800 members, more than double the number a year ago. The Club has a target of reaching a membership total of 10,000 this year.

We are fully aware of our promise to hold a special Supporters’ Day for those who have stuck with us through thick and thin. Due to the generous support of the Imperial War Museum at Duxford, it is our current hope to hold the event there over a weekend in May next year, including a special display by XH558.

The whole VTST team continues to do all we can to ensure that XH558 keeps flying. If each of you reading this message brings us one new supporter, XH558 could be on the way to a more secure future.

If funds, aircraft serviceability and the weather allow, XH558’s last display this year is planned to be at the Duxford airshow on 5th October.

XH558’s flying career could also still be saved if a few high-profile people came forward with offers of help.

However, to be realistic, it looks as if the door may now be closing on the future of the Vulcan in flight. I think that anyone wishing to see a Vulcan in flight should do so as soon as possible.

If we don’t achieve a significant change of circumstances soon, we won’t be able to carry out our role of ‘Honouring the Past, Inspiring the Future’, providing the once-seen, never-forgotten sight of XH558 in flight to a new generation; stimulating interest in design and engineering; and telling people about an important period in our Nation’s history

With the public’s help, the triumphant return of the Vulcan this summer became the not-to-be-missed spectacle of the season. I sincerely hope that 2008 will not also turn out to be her swansong..."

Dr Robert Pleming

http://www.tvoc.co.uk/default.asp

Cheers

Robt P.

Re the lancastrian, any idea where crash site was? heard it cartwheeled etc but at time of crash, until recent in fact, knew nothing of it? around same era there was another flying test bed, an "elizabethan"? (might have got name wrong) and some years later saw a Lightening that had overshot runway and was in bushes covered with sheeting. The flying bedstead was great too, (oops talking of pub in 1973)

Even the "Bedstead " crashed and killed a test pilot

http://www.testflyingmemorial.com/1946-70.htm

Scroll down toNov 28th 1957

Still trying to find the Elizabethan

The Elizabethan was a class of "Airspeed Ambassador" this crashed in Munich 1958 killing the 'Busby Babes'

all I can find so far (Still going)

yes I saw testpilots thingy, think I mentioned this before but someone I knew worked at RR hucknall and says it was very sad day the monday after the vulcan crash and seeing all the crews cars still there got to him, I once went to White hart at grantham around 1969 was told lots of old motorbikes in their stables, a few as it happened, all belonging to shop on same street my mate bought one a 500cc Triumph Tiger 90, turned out an RAF member took it there in war and never collected it, had had a rebore and still had grease in the barrel

Curses, I have a photo of the Elizabethan, Lightning and a Javelin lined up in front of the Rolls Royce hangar at Hucknall. I'll have to work out how to publish it on here, photobucket needs a bit of thought.

My brother was a cheeky sod, he would blatantly walk into the airfield from the footpath along the slagheaps, I remember him climbing into the cockpit of the Spitfire. Nobody said owt. This picture looks to have been taken on the grass next to Bulwell Hall woods, I have a few bits of Hucknall ephemora, pictures, airshows, and I have one of these on DVD, shot in colour in 1963, plus the demise of the Belfasts in the 70's.

The Elizabethan was always flying about with wierd engines, sometimes jets, pistons, anything they fancied at the time, sad that it was tainted with the Munich disaster, it wasn't the fault of the aircraft.

Theres one at Duxford having a massive makeover at the moment, I assume it's the only one left.

I've just checked, it is the only one left, the final example of the Airspeed Ambassador.

Don't know whether this has been mentioned, yesterday (20 Sep) was the 50th anniversary of the Vulcan crash at RAF Syston when 7 people were killed. I was there as a lad of 10 years with my dad.

My brother was a cheeky sod, he would blatantly walk into the airfield from the footpath along the slagheaps, I remember him climbing into the cockpit of the Spitfire.

His name wasn't Franz Von Werra by any chance? For those famililar

My brother was a cheeky sod, he would blatantly walk into the airfield from the footpath along the slagheaps, I remember him climbing into the cockpit of the Spitfire.

[/quote

His name wasn't Franz Von Werra by any chance? For those famililar

Nice one, afraid it wasn't, nor his false identification of Van Lott either, I thought that matey tried to steal a Hurricane anyway.

No it didn't, he could quite happily have lived out the war at Swanick Camp just like those U boat crew members who later went to work at Stanton as fettlers mates and shunters banksmen, They had been captured when the U47 sank in the River Leen, It had been there on a special mission however after avoiding the minefield at Lenton and the anti sub nets at Bobbers Mill it came to grief on the gasworks shallows, The original intention had been to meet up with Paratroopers who had landed by rubber dingy on the south coast and had made their way (changing trains at Swindon and Birmingham Snow Hill) to Basford Vernon Station. Here, craftily avoiding the fitted with wheels (so they could wheel it away at night) road block on Church St by going over Western Boulevard Bridge they stormed what is now Basford Health Centre which at that time was the secret headquarters for Operation Overlord (D Day) and capture Winston Churchill in his bunker (now the toe nail clinic) however the home guard with their pikes and brush handles quickly routed them. This exciting episode in Basford's history was made into a film starring Michael Caine called The Magpie Has Landed, (not alot of people know that)! Incidently there IS a TRUE story of I think 4 escaped POW's somewhere up geordie land who did manage to steal a plane and actually landed at an east coast airfield to refuel however they were recaptured trying to repeat the feat before a hoped for flight to germany

Lol V funny

I was reading it and thought . I don't remember ever hearing about a U boat in the River Leen , surely it's too shallow..!! DOHH!!

Nearly got me hook, line and sinker

I beleived it true this far yes even U Boat Crew working at Stanton Ironworks!

lived out the war at Swanick Camp just like those U boat crew members who later went to work at Stanton as fettlers mates and shunters banksmen, They had been captured when the U47 sank in the...

the bit re the luftwaffe crew is far as I know (on internet) true, as is the road block (2 x 45 gall oil drums filled with concrete) Western Boulevard and Church Street have parallel bridges crossing Leen and Railway the 4 lane dual carriage way WB had no road block, the narrow Church St did, the barrier was on wheels and only out in the day, After Dunkirk my mother had troops billeted with her, they laughed at such

Joking aside, were there many measures taken to defend Nottingham in 1940.

A few years ago an organisation was set up called The Defence of Britain who's aim was to plot every pillbox, spigot mortar position etc, etc across Britain, you can see their results on Google Earth.

Interestingly, very few sites are marked around Nottingham, whereas down this part of the world, it was like an armed camp, obviously to defend London at all costs.

When I was a kid, I used to play in a concrete pillbox near Balloon Woods crossroads, it's still there, NW of the junction sitting isolated in a field, it looks very vulnerable and exposed to me, whoever decided to put it there must have had suicidal tendencies, the Stukas would have had a field day. I can't see what tactical reason it had for it's existance, hiding it in Balloon Woods would have made more sense, the trees would have provided cover for defending troops as well.

The Oracle on such matters, my late great father, reckoned that a site was set up in fields between Bingham and Bottesford, that represented the city pattern of Nottingham, and that the area was torched when an incoming raid came in, thus dropping bombs in open fields rather than on populated areas, couldn't have done much for the local badger population though.

Does anyone know of this.

...a site was set up in fields between Bingham and Bottesford, that represented the city pattern of Nottingham, and that the area was torched when an incoming raid came in, thus dropping bombs in open fields rather than on populated areas, couldn't have done much for the local badger population though. Does anyone know of this.

Very true...

The marked area also extended from Kilvington to Barkestone-in-the-Vale.

Many bomb craters are testimony to the value of the exercise...don't suppose the old Duke would have been too bothered about the welfare of his dispersed tenant farmers, so long as Belvoir Castle stayed intact.

Numerous documents on the subject are in the local reference section of Bingham library...

Cheers

Robt P.