hello from a newbie

Hi all. Just found your site and think its great. I lived at Sherwood Rydale road,in 1945 and attended wyville school then moved to wollaton and dorothy grant school before moving away in 1955. I haven't been back to visit since late 60's. I only have very sketchy memories and have enjoyed looking at the old pics on this site.

Hello Marob, welcome to the forum. we're like one big family here!!!! Get yer memories written down duck...........somebody will BOUND to know something about you or your friends and family!!!!

• 3 months later...

Hello Folks, I've been visiting this site for a while now decided to join a while back. I have lived in Nottingham all of my life (82 years) apart from two years in the R.A.F. I attended several schools, Leen Side, Southwark St, Seely, Haydn Road, and Claremont.

Worked in Printing, and Telecommunications. Retired early medical reasons 24 year ago.

Dennis

Hi Dennis & welcome, look forward to you posting some Nottingham stories, varied array of schools you went to, must hold many memories?

Thanks for the welcomes, the various schools attended was in some degree due to the war which caused a bit of disruption I.E. not being allowed to travel more than a certain distance from home to school. My first six years was not a good time, the early thirties was not a good time, dad out of work, living in a slum property, back to back two up two down house, communal front yard no back and adjacent to a burial ground. Toilet block and wash house at the end of the yard and a bath in front of the fire in the tin bath which hung on the wall outside the house when not in use. At the age of six we moved to a new estate, three bedrooms, garden, bathroom, utter luxury, dad obtained work and life was better until he was called up in 1940. I won't say any more for now.

Dennis

HELLO AND WELCOME TO YOU AS WELL AS LOTS OF MEMORIES YOU MUST HAVE SEEN SO MANY CHANGES IN YOUR MANY YEARS IN NOTTINGHAM AND WELL DONE FOR YOUR GRASP OF USING A COMPUTER MANY PEOPLE OF YOUR AGE AND I KNOW MANY MUCH YOUNGER PEOPLE WONT EVEN TRY TO USE ONE I AM 20 YEARS YOUR JUNIOR AND MANY OF MY SCHOOL FRIENDS STILL WONT EVEN TRY .LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING YOUR MEMORIES.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all. Just found your site and think its great. I lived at Sherwood Rydale road,in 1945 and attended wyville school then moved to wollaton and dorothy grant school before moving away in 1955. I haven't been back to visit since late 60's. I only have very sketchy memories and have enjoyed looking at the old pics on this site.

I've really enjoyed popping back to read some more about Nottingham nostalgia. Unfortunately I've not yet come across anyone who I might have been a neighbour of or at school with. I would love to catch up with Buster Beardall or Jill Holland from Rydale Road. Barbara Waite from Arnold (her dad had a builders yard). Trevor Cox (parents were Joan and Barker) was at school with him in Beeston & our parents became great friends for many years & they would come to Poole to visit us.(mine were called Jack & Eileen Lilley). Julia Osborne (her mother was called Sadie). Another name that comes to mind is Jill London. My Dad worked at Players from 1920s to '70. my grandad had a factory that made underwear etc with a trademark name of mavis and spent a hell of a lot of his time at daybrook house if my memory is right