Kids Transport of the 50s & 60s

Face down with hands on the steering plank we called a 'bellyflop' with another mate on top was a 'double bellyflop' whether we made that up or other lads said that I can't remember.I know we did a triple once and all finished up with bloody knees.I remember getting a thick ear too when my brother found I'd 'borrowed' his best screwdriver out of his meccano set....He's still got it today.

We used to get our wheels from Pownalls on Alfreton Road for a few pence...they didn't chuck old prams away round where I lived.

Dunno about you...but I think these guys were pushing their luck...

1a_zps166a2906.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only talking about this in the pub the other day.. There's a couple of lads round here must be eighteen years old that can be seen every night on their little kids scooters, sometimes skateboards.Ear

When i was about 12 -13 my Dad had made me a trolley (thats what we called it) made from Coach pram wheels and planks of wood, it was long enough for about 3 or 4 of us to ride on when we were going d

I think I've posted this before...but what the heck...

'borrowed' his best screwdriver out of his meccano set

Poohbear, as soon as I read that the screwdriver image appeared in my mind despite the fact I probably have'nt seen one for about 55years.

I remembered a wire screwdriver with bent semi triangular handle rounded top

I had to go of and search for one to confirm my memory was correct.

meccanoscrewdriver.jpg

• 2 months later...

I pestered the life out of my dad to make me a trolley when I was about 11 or 12.

He eventually gave in and took me with him to Jacky Pownalls scrap yard on Alfreton Road and bought some old pram wheels and proceeded to make me a trolley.

It took him a good while as he used all the proper fittings and screws etc.

After he'd finished it I took it out on the cobbles of Russell Road going down the incline towards the Forest when I lost control and hit the kerb. The trolley snapped in two. Dad nearly choked on his tea when I came back with the two halves and buckled front wheels!

He used to tell that story to his grandkids with great amusement although I don't remember him laughing the day it happened!