Cliff Ton

Garden Street area

2 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

And I suspect that the way my grandparents got to the taxi was not what would happen today. I reckon they walked from their house into the city centre to the taxi rank. That meant walking up Alfreton Road to Canning Circus, then down Derby Road to the Market Square…a couple of miles at 11am on Christmas day morning….by a couple who were doing that well into their 60s.

or... perhaps...if they didn't have a telephone, they invested tuppence and used the call box at the end of Grimston Rd and called for a taxi?

On 10/30/2018 at 12:28 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

I would love to see the original plans for Garden Street!

This is from the 1880s and may show things which changed before you knew the place. Number 4 is marked as 'PH' which is obviously the Cherry Tree as mentioned earlier.

n0WLpoY.jpg

• Like 1

Fascinating, CT!  The outbuildings at the rear correspond to my memories exactly but, again, the main building poses questions. My relatives occupied the right hand side, as seen from this view...the part nearest what was Vann's Hosiery Factory in my day and Julius Goldberg on the plan. The left side was, by my time, a garage on the ground floor and storage on the upper floors, reached by external stairs at the rear.  Your plan appears to show the whole building as a pub.  I have often wondered whether the place was altered when Mr Smith of Smith's Bakeries bought it, possibly in the 20s.

I spent some time recently looking at the 1911 census for Garden Street. I've seen it previously but wanted to check that number 4 wasn't listed. Unfortunately, it wasn't. Must have been unoccupied at the time. The last even numbered house, prior to Ilkeston Road, is number 8.  On the odd numbered side, I found a Thomas H Watson, born 1881, living at number 17. He is, no doubt, a relative of Christopher64 who made a rather promising post on this thread and never returned. The census also mentions a Hollins Yard off the odd numbered side of Garden Street, with a couple of houses listed. Hollins Yard doesn't appear on any of CT's excellent street maps. Wonder where it was?

Although it's not specifically marked on this map, this was Hollins Yard, entered through a passageway next to 19a. And there's also a Hollins Terrace at the top off Denman Street.

35n0rJi.jpg

Not all the house numbers are marked but you can fill in the gaps. My aunts lived at 27.

• Like 1

Ah, all is made clear!  27 must have been one of the older cottages which had small gardens at the front, as opposed to the terraced properties on the even numbered side which opened straight onto the pavement.  I have never forgotten seeing an elderly lady doing some washing in a wooden tub in the front garden of one of those houses. I must have been very young at the time. The tub resembled a barrel cut in half. 

It were a Dolly Tub Jill, all the best people used em. I can see my grans house on Henry st., the only one with no number. You can even make out the toilet block in the middle of the communal  yard. Happy days !

Ps. Think my old mate Joey Nelson lived about no.34.

I'd seen lots of dolly tubs, Beekay, but they were metal. I think the fact that this one was wooden caught my attention. I've never forgotten it. It was almost like a scene from Victorian days. If you're referring to 34 Garden Street, Beekay, one Thomas Woolett resided there in 1911.

I noticed that CT referred to a communal toilet at the beginning of the thread, in the yard at the rear of his aunt's house. Sharing such a facility can't have been much fun. Originally, I suppose, these houses were visited by the ten o'clock horses my grandad often spoke of. Earth closets needed emptying!

It were a Dolly tub Jill, our next door neighbour had one. As I  wasn't  born in 1911, so have no idea who lived there at 34, I  only guessed where my mate lived and that was in 1955ish. In Denton st., we had communal bogs. There were 4 houses per toilet. It was terrible in winter and especially  at night. Some folks used to keep a paraffin  lamp burning to help stave off freezing cisterns. No such thing as toilet tissues !

The loo at number 4 was right at the bottom of the cobbled yard in what appeared to have been an earlier outbuilding.  Always difficult about toilets, I flatly refused to use it and my mother only used it if desperate. There was no electric light and, when nature called during the night hours, Emily and George had a chamber pot under their bed! However, they didn't have to share the lavvie with anyone else, unlike residents further up Garden Street.  I do remember that the area near the loo was paved not with cobbles but with those dark, patterned tiles which were...and still are...often found in covered passageways between Victorian terraced housing. There was also a channel running along the middle of them, as though there had once been a building there. I've sometimes wondered whether it was used as a slaughterhouse. That area was the only part of the yard or house where I felt distinctly uncomfortable and rarely went. My mother often commented on her own dislike of that area.

As I've said previously, I'm sure number 4 as I knew it had been altered significantly since its days as a beerhouse, starting around 1885. There must have been earth closets in the sizeable yard area at the rear but where they were, I don't know. Numerous outbuildings were ranged around that yard but they all had windows and didn't look like earth closets. Although storage space above the ground floor garage was rented out, I don't think the outbuildings in the yard were used.

• Like 1