Cliff Ton

Garden Street area

2 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

And I suspect that the way my grandparents got to the taxi was not what would happen today. I reckon they walked from their house into the city centre to the taxi rank. That meant walking up Alfreton Road to Canning Circus, then down Derby Road to the Market Square…a couple of miles at 11am on Christmas day morning….by a couple who were doing that well into their 60s.

or... perhaps...if they didn't have a telephone, they invested tuppence and used the call box at the end of Grimston Rd and called for a taxi?

On 10/30/2018 at 12:28 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

I would love to see the original plans for Garden Street!

This is from the 1880s and may show things which changed before you knew the place. Number 4 is marked as 'PH' which is obviously the Cherry Tree as mentioned earlier.

n0WLpoY.jpg

• Like 1

Fascinating, CT!  The outbuildings at the rear correspond to my memories exactly but, again, the main building poses questions. My relatives occupied the right hand side, as seen from this view...the part nearest what was Vann's Hosiery Factory in my day and Julius Goldberg on the plan. The left side was, by my time, a garage on the ground floor and storage on the upper floors, reached by external stairs at the rear.  Your plan appears to show the whole building as a pub.  I have often wondered whether the place was altered when Mr Smith of Smith's Bakeries bought it, possibly in the 20s.