As far as manners go I think passengers are now more polite than they were 40 years ago. Nowadays most people thank the driver as they alight, that was certainly not the case when I caught the bus to school.

A very good point. I don't go on many buses very often but whenever I do, it amazes me that almost everyone says "thank you" to the driver when they get off.

Just goes to prove that the so-called good old days weren't necessarily better than the present.

The Makemsons bus that went Bulwell to Bestwood village was definitely always single decker, to go under rail bridge on Bestwood Road?

I always caught the last bus back into Bulwell, one of the regular drivers lived near my house in aspley, so I'd stay on the bus to the garage (Piccadily) where the driver left his old grey Dormobile van, I felt sure I'd seen other buses in the garage that were old NCT greens, perhaps I was mistaken

I think you are mistaken, double deckers were certainly used to Bestwood Village, I don't think the railway bridge was that low. What else were the double deckers for? They were no use for private hire.

I also remember travelling from Bulwell to Bestwood Colliery on a Makemson's double decker. I think they only had two - and they were the lowbridge type - with long seats upstairs and a sunken side-aisle. This intruded into the ceiling space on the right hand side downstairs, giving rise to warning notices saying something like "Mind your head when leaving your seat".

I'm not disputing that double deckers went to Bestwood village, just that I always travelled on a single decker coach, was there another Bus Company doing the route, picked up in Bulwell market outside the Amusement arcade (formerley gents outfitters?), dropped off & turned around at Top House in the village.

PS: this was late 60's early 70's