Is the White Swan in Basford still up and running or like so many other pubs has it had to close. When I was a youth we used to go in there on a Saturday night and have a good sing-song. The place was very lively and had a great atmosphere but one of the landlords that kept it was sacked for watering down the beer in the early '80s. I left Basford in 1967 to join the RAF and never went back to live there but used to visit when my mum was still alive. It was always a rum sort of place but the humour was always good and I am quite proud to say that it is my hometown. I still follow the Reds and am pleased to see them making a decent start to the season.

I used them both on Saturday nights in the early 70's, mainly because there was always 'live music' ie pianist + sing song, also used to frequent the Mason's Arms further on from the Fox & Crown, but only at lunchtimes Sundays.............................

I used them both on Saturday nights in the early 70's, mainly because there was always 'live music' ie pianist + sing song, also used to frequent the Mason's Arms further on from the Fox & Crown, but only at lunchtimes Sundays.............................

i used to drink in the masons in from about 1983 til it was closed and demolished, was edna the landlady there in the 70's? one very formidable lady! we used to call the masons "stonhenge" on account of its till still being one of those with pop up tabs on it and all the prices still in £. s. d. !

Sorry Phil Box, I can't recall the landlady, only went in there whilst 'doing the rounds' on Sunday lunchtimes:

Vernon Arms, Masons, Fox & Crown, Horse & Jockey & finish at the Vernon, not bad in 2 hours!! & walking (briskly)

Did you know Dave Tams from Vernon avenue, or the Watson brothers?

yeah know what you mean about the brisk walking! when i was doing the rounds of those basford pubs i was quite fit due to all that exercise pub to pub!

we called it doing the village-

white swan

fox and crown

masons

lord nelson

commodore (sometimes)

newcastle arms

barley mow

duke of newcastle

i'm afraid i don't recall those names from vernon avenue, although i was hanging around there from about 1980 to 1982 ish when i left school and our vernon park gang kind of drifted apart. i was mates with a lad called ian hudsbeth who lived on the avenue.