Just below the VHF bands Mick, that must have been a fair while back!! The 6m band, just above those frequencies is classed as our lowest VHF band, and it is affected by the sunspot cycle.

Back to CB , I remember those sunspot activities of the 80's and sitting on Dorket Head in the wee small hours, talking to a couple of blokes up in Ozarks hunting big horn (Or something) IMMSC Murdoch (My old mate Nick) had a QSL card from them a couple of weeks later.

I had a similar chat with a guy in Phoenix Arizona, called Sparkplug, from the same spot at Dorket head ! He was a trucky, and was coming in as though he was just down the road.

I had an illegal rig in a transit with big whip type twig, one day the latter came off and hit a bloke walking by, he had to go to hospital, doctor said it was the worst case of van aerial disease he had ever seen!

I had a whip ant on my truck on the way to the lake i hit a tree with it & a branch fell off going through the windscreen of my boat.

Around 1982 Boots got into selling CB Radio, then quickly got out of it, word went round the channels of them selling off their stock at next to nothing.

I picked up a rig and long stainless steel whip antenna, still got the latter somewhere. Still got three rigs, YORK 863, Harrier CBX, and an AM rig,Fanon Fanfare 190DF And I think I have a boxed sidebander somewhere.

In oz, CB's are still fairly popular, especially for the travelling caravanner and truckies.

When a three trailer plus tractor road train unit comes up in your mirror doing well up the speed limit, they can be a real usefull tool to assist the driver to pass.

And often in far out of the way places I've chatted for an hour or so with a truckie going in the same direction but nowhere in sight.