Anyone remember the Yoyo craze of the 1960s?

The yo-yo craze took over my life for a few months in the early 60's

I think it was in Spring 1962 when a guy with an American accent (I think he was Canadian actually) called Don Rodgers turned up in the playground during breaktime at Forest Fields Grammar on Stanley Rd.

He produced a Lumar yo-yo from his pocket and performed a series of amazing tricks during which time a large crowd of mainly lads had gathered around.

When he'd finished he invited anyone interested to come down to the Co-Op on Parliament St on Saturday morning.

I guess he then went off to do the same demo around other schools because on Saturday morning the sports department on the lower ground floor of Co-operative House was crammed full of 11-13 year old lads assembled to see more of the great Don Rodgers.

He told us about all the ins and outs (sorry ups and downs) of yo-yos and announced that over the next few weeks he would be giving lessons in yo-yo skills at the Co-op on Saturday mornings with badges available for various levels of ability.

It would all finish with a final competition with a bike for the winner.

Well sales of yo-yo's must have gone through the roof at the Co-op and later other toy departments like Pearsons because nearly any lad aged 11-13 just had to have one. The most prized yo-yo being a Lumar butterfly priced at 10/6.

I remember having very bruised knuckles initially as I mastered the basic skill of making the yo-yo sleep which is when it spins rapidly at the end of the string and returns back up the string to your hand when you jerk the string.

Making the yo-yo sleep is the first part of nearly all yo-yo tricks such as walking the dog, rocking the baby, the tightrope etc.

One trick that doesn't rely on a sleeping yo-yo is loop the loop.

I managed a couple of badges and took part in the final which was held in the Elizabethan restaurant and it was a lad from Forest Fields called Graham Sheard who won the bike.

He managed to be the last competitor who was able to keep loop the loop going ahead of all the remaining participants.

I think he was photographed with Don Rodgers for the NEP.

And that was it.

The yo-yo craze ended overnight as Don Rodgers no doubt moved onto another city to promote the sales of Lumar yo-yo's.

I saw a Lumar butterfly on ebay a few weeks back and was sorely tempted but then I remembered my sorely knuckles.........

Happy days.

• Upvote 3

A later craze (1970's) was clackers. Rather tthan try and describe the infernal thinks I suggest you use the link below if you want to know more.

The guy in the video is quite good because until you got the knack you could get some really nasty bruises on the back of your hand and your knuckles.

I think some kids even sustained fractures!

They also made quite a racket!

At least with a yo-yo you injured yourself quietly (apart from the howls of pain)

The pictures of snobs brought back memories. My dad was brilliant at the game. Used to be able to throw them up, catch all five on the back of his hand, toss them up again and catch all five with a grabbing action. He could do it all day long, never missed. I think he could do it with his eyes closed.

I've never met anyone outside Nottingham who knows what snobs are. When you try and explain most non Nottingamians say ah you mean jacks but as has been explained already jacks are metal things with a little ball.

What about good old whip and top with the carrot tops and window breakers?

Remember how the whips were sold with a leather string which most kids quickly replaced with string.

I saw a kid give a window breaker a real good whip and it flew threw the air and nearly lived up to it's name.

I think whip and top was a game that was mainly played on Pancake day.

Remember putting the top under your knee to start it off?

My dad used to help me out by spinning it between his palms to get me going.

I'm pretty sure when I was a young 'un in the 50's we used to get the afternoon off on Shrove Tuesday. Anybody else out there able to corroberate this?